What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Undent brass cases

What removes plating ?

I have a case that has been brightly plated, how can that be removed. Dents are a never ending problem on the 37mm cases being thin. How does it work with sand exactly ? I didn't quite understand it.

As I understood him, he filled the (Large) case with sand to the level of the dent, so he could lay the expanding jack/pusher on the sand platform. It will also deaden the sound of hammering on the case to take the dents out.

Normally, I believe that bumper repair shops use acid to remove the old chrome. I wouldn't advise that on brass cases. I would think you could remove the Chrome with electrolysis. Unless someone else here has a better procedure. I would call the Chemistry teacher at your local university to confirm or get better info.

Last edited:
Hammer n Dolly

When using an auto body dolly and dent hammer, the rule is to hold the dolly on the low spots and hammer on the high spots. Recommend practice on something worthless first, and don't forget anywhere there is a dent the metal is stretched (actually more surface area than before dented), but i've seen guys so good with the hammer and dolly that they can take dents out to near perfect. I was once an auto-body guy and believe me when I say the hammer and dolly method is almost an art form. I was never that great using this method, but worked with people that were. DOLLY HELD ON LOW SPOTS AND HAMMER ON HIGH SPOTS. That is the rule..Dano

When you use sand when hammering on the case, it seems to be that the dents go out much easier. Also the sound and vibrations are stopped, good for both the ears, and the relation with the neighbours. The other reason is that when you place two wedged or pieces of wood in the case, you can aline them precise and easy. I had a very sharp dent, like a corner in the case, and wasn't able to get it out. I decided to make a larger dent in the case, much deeper, and on this way flatten the sharp dent. After this, i got the large dent out by filling up the diameter, and put a heavy iron ron in the middle, and with heavy force on it the dent came out for about 95 percent. After that i placed the steal tube in it, shown on the picture above. In this, the sand was easy for support the fillers of the diameter.
For the large dents, and case without a neck, this is a very good way.
Now i'm looking for the last 5 percent of the dents. Like said above, this is taking mucho practising, and looking on youtube to instruction video's. But with all the tips overhere, i'll manage it soon.

Pipe expander Works !

See images, this works and with some adjustment will work better. I need to extend the turning bolt. I also think by making the surface of the expanding plates sticky it will help positioning and getting it to grab the casing will help it expand rather than spin in place. This is a manually operated tool which allows complete control.

Attachments

• IMG_8758.jpg
    IMG_8758.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8756.jpg
    IMG_8756.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8757.jpg
    IMG_8757.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8768.jpg
    IMG_8768.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 52
here a nice cartridge i managed to undent, great help of the deadblow hammer, mucho time, one blue nail, and the steel pipe. still have to polish it up, but it's on his way back to collectors level.

Attachments

• before after.jpg
    before after.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 53