What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Under The Driving Bands

kz11gr

helloff.png

Here a new post to show some different projectiles under their driving bands.

Of course you can help and bring many other pictures .

47722147.gif

Last edited:
I have seen the waved line on British projectiles of various calibres before. I would be interested to know how it was formed.

Here are "before and after" of the U.S. 37MM M63.

Rick

Projectile, 37MM, M63 HE 001.jpg Projectile, 37MM, M63 HE 002.jpg Projectile, 37MM, M63 HE 003 (Small).jpg

On a side note, I measured the ID of the bases. My suspicion is the unbanded one was pulled off the line prior to final finishing.

Last edited:
I have seen the waved line on British projectiles of various calibres before. I would be interested to know how it was formed.

Hello Falcon,

this process was done one a lathe using a "sinusoidal rib-cutting cam arrangement". If I understood it right, the ribs are "copied" from a cam plate (which is mounted on the lathe) to the projectile. You will find a detailled description in "United States Artillery Ammunition - The American Machinist" on page 64/65.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I think I understand what you mean there. I use lathes at work, but never have to cut anything like that.

The old Picatinny and DST manuals used to have detailed examination of rotating band seats for use as ID features in frag analysis. Every round had very detailed drawings - of course due to the timeframe 95% were on Warsaw Pact or Chicom countries.

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg