What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underwater velocity aircraft bomb

Antoon

Ordnance approved
When a aircraft bomb (500 or 1000 lb.) is dropped in the water, the velocity will decrease rapidly. Will such a bomb, dropped from a Hawker Typhoon dive bomber penetrate the bottom of a canal with 4,00 4,50 meter of water?

Greetings - Antoon

Just read this one and can say I have no idea about velocity in water, however if you think of the depths that bombs penetrated soil then I wouldnt think that 4 and a half meters of water would be enough to prevent a bomb of that size penetrating the canal floor. Of course it would depend also on the angle at which the bomb hit the water too.

just my thoughts....

look forward to reading other, more educated comments!!!

regards Kev

I would expect so, expecially considering the soft bottom of most inland waterways. If you were to release it with no velocity, just from the surface, you would expect a fair amount of penetration. Now add any velocity, decreased or not, and you will increase your penetration.

Talk to an engineer and give him your measurements to figure drag of the bomb and he should be able to give you a % of velocity drop for that depth.

When a aircraft bomb (500 or 1000 lb.) is dropped in the water, the velocity will decrease rapidly. Will such a bomb, dropped from a Hawker Typhoon dive bomber penetrate the bottom of a canal with 4,00 4,50 meter of water?

Greetings - Antoon

I suppose it depends how thick the bottom of the canal is..........:neutral:
Dave.

If the bombs were dropped at 400mph at low level, then there would be significant residual kinetic energy when they entered the water.

Not forgetting, that all going well most impact fuzes will operate on contact with the water (sudden deceleration) and detonation will occur before bomb gets to bottom even with delay.

It seems that the surface impact speed has little bearing on the overall horizontal trajectory, but the "Angle of Attack" (AOA) has a larger effect:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA530592

Interesting point re using an impact fuse............I wondered why the Clark Naval anti-submarine /ship Bomb fuze (c 1915) had a very short production life as it had both an impact mechanism (striking the ship's deck) and a mechanical delay mechanism to explode at a set depth against the ship's side - if it missed the deck..................wasn't reliable!

Cheers
Drew

Wouldn't the size and what type the fins are. I think that if you use the boxed fins, it may skip a few times. I believe the "Fat Boy" atomic bomb missed the target by a mile or so. The did some tests and figured out somehow that one of the fins inside the box became bent making the bomb go off course? Anybody know if this is right on both accounts?:tinysmile_hmm_t2: