What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unfinished cartridges?

Darrol

Premium Member
ive had these two for years(.303 for scale) the primer well has not been drilled through and no markings. one base is flat the other thins to the edge of the rim . .thats as much that i know. any help to id them would be great. thank you:ridinghorse:

Attachments

• DSC04904.jpg
    DSC04904.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC04905.jpg
    DSC04905.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 76
The width of the necks are 11 and 10 and a half mm and there length is 54 mm .

During my apprenticeship training I went on a visit to Radway Green, where they showed us the various stages of cartridge case manufacture. There are several stages involving extrusion and annealing of the brass before it gets to the final length and shape of the finished case. Drilling the flash holes and attachment of the percussion cap are stages after those. I would guess that you have examples of some of the later stages of extrusion in your photos. I hope this helps.

Or they could be unfinished WWI igniters,used in various trench mortar/howitzers, the dimentions are right for these

Tony

Attachments

• PA270002.JPG
    PA270002.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 18
  • PA270003.JPG
    PA270003.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 18
  • PA270004.JPG
    PA270004.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 15
Unfinished ctgs.

You could well be right Tony, although I think they are probably simply unfinished, untrimmed .303 cases.

However, the TM igniters and similar tended to be made from reject cases at different stages of production so these could well have been rejected due to rim faults and ended up as you suggest.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks guys .didnt think i would ever know . Will find out more about the mortar /howitzer primers .the rim is the same width as a 8mm lebel round .