What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified 75mm Hotchkiss casing...

shelldude

This is a 75mm X 348mm artillery casing bearing the HOTCHKISS / PARIS manufacturing logo on its base. The primer is stamped: UMC (Union Metallic Cartridge) 32 S&W.

Any assistance in identifying what gun fired this casing and the types of projectiles used would be greatly appreciated!

I also need to determine if the primer is original or someone's idea of a joke.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 39
I think that you have this casing

It might be the U.S. Army casing listed as Army 3.2 inch (2nd image). Everybody made these things and competed. If reloaded which was the practice at the time there is no reason it could not have the UMC primer. Unfortunately Hotchkiss casings are not dated. The Hotchkiss 75mm case as seen on navel mounts is necked down, yours is not. The Hotchkiss case is perhaps scarcer than the equivalent Winchester or U.M.C. .

On looking closer you have a Smith & Wesson .32 cal cartridge in there, not a proper primer ! if it fits - shove it in ~ that's what people do.

Attachments

• UMC1.jpg
    UMC1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 37
  • UMC2.jpg
    UMC2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hello Gspragge,

Thank you for the feedback and UMC documents. Unfortunately the listed dimensions for the U.S. Army 3.2-inch casing rules it out. I removed the primer cartridge that was in the base of the casing and it was indeed what I had suspected, a S&W .32 blank cartridge. I seem to remember reading somewhere that these were actually used for artillery case primers. Could it be?

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 21
umc case list

thanks Gspragge for posting the UMC case list I think its confirmed my 4in Winchester case is not cut down at 28.5ins, always thought it might have been.

75x350 Hotchkiss Case

I have in my collection this same case, mine with a 38 cal cartridge case being used as the primer. Case headstamp is 38 S&W REM UMC. I have no information on the gun that used the Hotchkiss case, but believe it to be reloaded by the Mexicans in the US-Mexican war of 1916. Small shops were mfg ammunition for guns previously bought from the French (Schnieder, Mondragon/St. Chamond and Hotchkiss.) I have seen projectiles of crude cast iron mfg, without even rotating bands. Another case in my collection is a Mondragon 8cm with a large screw out primer that has been drilled out and a 50-70 cartridge inserted as a primer. The projectiles and cases were being re-loaded with black powder so this would work fine. I would re-insert your 32 case, I believe it to be correct.

Hello Frizzen,

THANK YOU for the helpful and very interesting information regarding these unusual Hotchkiss casings. The .32 S&W UMC primer is back where it belongs!

Best regards,

Randall

I have several old US cases (some around 1900 and up to WW1) with WW2 dated primers like yours.