What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unidentified rifle grenade and mortar fins (relics)

timefuze

Hi Guys,

I need to call upon your expertise once more...

Can someone tell me what the two pieces of rusted metal are that I found please?
1. Tubular 4 finned thing, with bent remains of projectile body at the other end(?). Rifle grenade? Sketch included in picture below. Two of these were found about 15m from each other. See also picture 2. Shape of fins may vary, because thes were so rusted / desintegrated during transport home. Base at the body is 9cm longDSCN6936.jpg

2. Fins of an approx 105mm mortar round. Found amongst german 81mm mortar tailfins. Some other fuze piece was found along. (see pictures 1 & 3)

DSCN6931.jpgDSCN6935.jpgDSCN6932.jpg
Thanks a lot for solving this mystery.

Cheers,

timefuze

Hi Timefuze,
I think the fin with the three holes in each section looks like a British 4.2" mortar one, that's about all i can help you with.
Best Weasel.

I agree with Weasel. Also, because there are no cut-outs along the edges of the fins, the bombs they were fitted to were not filled with Smoke (WP) or chemical. The fins you have are consistent with HE. I cannot tell from your photos but if there is a raised bump towards the back end of each fin then you have tail units for the 4.2 inch streamlined HE bomb. If there is no raised bump towards the back end of each fin and no cut-outs then the tail units could be from non-streamlined HE bombs or from practice bursting bombs. From experience I know that the remains of practice bursting bombs would still have the tail unit fitted to the lower half of the bomb when found, so you probably have tail units from HE bombs. The fuze remains may be from a No 152 or 152A. Source: DWS Notes on Ammunition issue 15 section 4 - 4.2 inch smooth bore mortar ammunition, dated 1943.