What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified Round

Kentish

New member here, basically, found this in the loft at my nans, she claims it was used as a doorstop for many years, but worryingly, doesn't know if it's been deactivated etc.

Anyone shed some light on it? Or if I should get the police to check it out?

There's a few markings, but hard to tell what all of them are. They are as follows:

Front:
R?????
P or D
299056orGL
BS
VAD 1945

Then about a quarter of the way round to the left, it has a circle, above the circle is an 8, inside the circle is either 177 or 77.

Pictures attached.

The shoe is size 9, just to give some idea of how big it is.

Sorry for posting this twice.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 56
Very interesting item ?

Well to me it looks a little like a 6 pounder 57mm Armour Piercing Capped Ballsitic cap round "APCBC-T" but it is unusual with the top part being made from an Aluminium Alloy.

Please could you take a few more detailed pictures of it against a ruler or tape and a close up of the base as well as a close up of the side along the full length-this will greatly aid identification.

Potentially a valuable asset to someones collection but also potentially maybe lethal-so care must be taken at all times so treat it with respect.

If you do decide to hand it in then it will be gone forever no matter what it turns out to be.(you may well end up doing this in any case)as if it is suspect then that will be the only safe option available.
I/we look forward to seeing more pictures.
Thank you

apcbc

Certainly looks like 6pr apcbc basicly solid projectile with base tracer cavity. unfired and corroded and painted yellow after corrosion has occured. yellow paint would represent HE but looks like this is incorrect. as to aluminium balistic cap not sure could be the 299056 no. is a design modification no.
THIS IS NOT A POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION AND NOWAY INDICATES THE PROJECTILE IS INERT. got to cover myself incase anything nasty occurs. 2pr

Weight please

Hi Kentish and thank you for the picture-I very much echo 2Pounders thoughts on this one and the one thing I shold have requested was that you weigh the shell on some scales as this will give a very good indication of what it is.

Incidentally the "BS" means made from Bar Stock although this does not help with the ID as both HE and AP shell/shots were made from Bar Stock as opposed to a forging.
Any chance of a "weigh in" ??