What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unidentiied German (?) contract fuze any ideas?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
it might help if you can read Afghan, Burmese, Persian, Welsh etc. I'm not even sure if you read it left to right or right to left . Its all brass, sort of AZ23 in style but look at the length of those threads, obviously designed for someone with plenty of time on their hands. Its late 30s dated. I do seem to recall reading somewhere once that the Germans supplied Persia with weapons hoping to court favour against the British. Can anyone idedntify it for me

many thanks in slight anticipation

Dave

Attachments

• 100_6773.jpg
    100_6773.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_6774.jpg
    100_6774.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_6775.jpg
    100_6775.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_6776.jpg
    100_6776.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Hello,

I've heard this kind of fuze was made by Rheinmetall for export (Afghanistan).
Maybe someone could confirm.

Regards

fuze.jpg

The language appears to be Farsi Dari and translated literally means "senstive warhead cannon"

Cheers

Pete

Last edited:
No problem, I have access at work to something like 80 different language speakers, so it's just a case of asking.

Cheers

Pete

Hello,

I assume this one is a Skoda fuze made for export (Afghanistan ?).

Same shape as Czech VG-CR or VG-SKR, maybe shorter and graduated to 220 instead of 190.

Regards

fuze.jpg

So here is a question ... it is a German fuze (did the German's have their own version) that was specially marked for Afghanistan? Or was the fuze special made for Afghanistan only?

Does anyone know?

Joe

In 1939 WW2 started and all british controlled ports were closed for german ships. Karachi, in british India at that time, was and still is today the seaport for supplies to Afghanistan. So, the german delivery contracts with Afghanistan could not be fulfilled from1939 onwards. The material stayed in europe and was used there as it was standard german equipment. There are some fotos on the net of old german ammunition supplied to Afghanistan before 1939, that was found by NATO EOD there, that was never used in over 70 years. Afghanistan has never had a war with any other country.
Bellifortis.

Let us think about the problem !
I know, there is a part of the marking wich let think on a date : 1939. Is it a date ?
I know also that some german fuzes were used by other countries years after the second WW. Exemple : and belgian marine friends shall confirm if I'm wright, in the years '70-'80, the belgian marine used a fuze VERY similar to the ZTZ S/30 on her 100 mm shells for fregate.
I asked the question on another forum about the language, it is effectively Dari or Farsi language, two very similar languages. Dari is more used in Afghanistan, Farsi in Iran.

I think that you should must have a look on the Iranian fuzes. They have use fuzes from very different countries with own iranian markings.
Have a look on those iranian fuzes : PD AZ111 (copy of german), PD MM-6 (copy of russian), PD M572A1 (copy of US).

Yoda

Hum, from another of my sources (great thank to all my sources ! ! !), another track to think it's iranian is the marking 9/1318/1939.
Iranian calendar (chiite calendar) begin in our year 621 after JC. They have approx the same number of days and month in their years as we in our calendar.
Marking should mean : 9 = month of manufacturing; 1318 in their calendar correspond on 1939 in our calendar.

That's a second possibility to affirm that this fuze is iranian !

Yoda

Here the complete shell and a picture of the shellcase bottom.
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• Duits-Arabisch complete cartridge.JPG
    Duits-Arabisch complete cartridge.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Duits-Arabisch bottom shellcase.JPG
    Duits-Arabisch bottom shellcase.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 65