What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknow 8,8cm Flak

AZ23-28

What is that for a shell??

Attachments

• BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 121
  • BBB.jpg
    BBB.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 121
  • BBBB.jpg
    BBBB.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 124
  • BBBBB.jpg
    BBBBB.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 118
8,8 cm flak

Your shell is a 8,8 cm flak. Without dimensions I can't give you the exact model but what I can say is that the hole in the "bodemplaat" is previous for a tracer. This plate is screwed in the shell.
The fuze is a mechanical time fuze ZtZ S/30 series. It can be a DoppZ S/60. Look for markings.

Great shell, lucky guy !

Definitely a TP round- the offical color for TP rounds is gray and the arrows marked on the base are further symbology for identification; it was universal- I even have a 2cm MG151/20 TP round that's gray and has arrows stamped on it.

The base is the early style shell that was filled from the bottom and closed with a screw plug- it never had a tracer since HE rounds detonate, there's no need for one. The recess in the base is for the 'screwdriver' that secured the plug. Of course being a training round, it might well be a dummy plug too- just looking like the real thing. Why exactly the base edges are threaded I don't know- perhaps the case was given threads too so the projectile could be separated for certain types of demonstration?

Last edited: