What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknow projectile

pat

Ordnance approved
good evening, who know this projectile, can be Austrian or Italian ww 1, diameter approximately 75 mm

Attachments

• Sans titre - 1.jpg
    Sans titre - 1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Sans titre - 2.jpg
    Sans titre - 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Sans titre - 3.jpg
    Sans titre - 3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 144
Austrian grenade?

Hello. This looks a lot like an Austrian improvised grenade that I had a while back. It was armed with a ring of steel bars about 9-10mm around a center can and in the center can had a half stick of dynamite(just the wrapper after being dis armed). The end caps were a bit deformed in the disarming process, but it sure resembled your photos.The general thinness of the casing tends to increase the likeliness of it being a grenade. Only other thing I can think of is a cannister load for a muzzle loading gun.

Austrian petard charge

I am almost certain it is Austrian WW1 petard charge improvised grenade/bomb. Have seen one before that was very similar...Dano

??

Not any cannister for smoothbore rifles that I know of.
John

Austrian grenades were often over 1 kg or more. They were not tossed like a Mills, rather often flung down the mountain at the lower trenches. The distanace between trenches in the mountains was much shorter that the Western front. I just checked my references, and there are easily over a dozen over 1 kg in weight. In my collection of over 130 WW1 grenades, the Austrians stood out for the relatively huge mass. I wondered if there were a lot of Austrian soldier ancestors of Arnold Schwartzenger?