What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 122mm rocket device

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I saw these at a recovery site sometime back. They appear to be short 122mm rocket warheads with an adapter screwed into the fuzewell. The adapter can hold up to seven electrically initiated pieces, which appear to be either flares or smoke cartridges. The folks I've spoken to so far had no idea of the what or why of these pieces, but so far its been a pretty limited audience. Any of you folks familiar with these?

Attachments

• Rocket 1.jpg
    Rocket 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Rocket 2.jpg
    Rocket 2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Rocket 3.jpg
    Rocket 3.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 147
Although I haven't seen any manuals on this stuff, i've heard that 132mm M13 rockets were used as aerial targets for Strela and Igla missiles, so i think they are probably flares for this purpose.

That was our suspicion, but no way to confirm....

I had seen those in depots on M13 rockets. The rockets were modified to be equipped with electrical ignited tracers on the fins and they looked much like what is sticking out of the aluminum nose pieces. I wonder if somebody stuffed them in there deliberately. Also the wiring at the nose section is weird if this would be an original configuration. And if those haveing been used like this one would expect a certain damage on those since they certainly must have experienced a severe impact.
Those in the depot were in boxes with the tracers (to go on the fins) and with all parts belonging to it and there was nothing in the boxes that would go into that nose piece.

I wondered at that time if this aluminum nose attachment is just a sound generator.