What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 3.7cm "Pak 36" Projectile

Eggburt1969

I noticed this complete round of 3.7 cm Pak 36 ammuntion for sales on Gunstar.

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Ammunition-Inert/Accessory-For-Sale.aspx?id=76975

I've tried to identify the APCBC projectile in books I have on WWII German ammunition and via searchs online, but to no avail. I've also looked through books and websites on WWII US and UK ammo, just in case an Allied projectile had been used in place of a German projectile, again to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what projectile has been fitted to the case.

Hi Eggburt1969,
It looks very much like a replica projectile, turned from ally. The driving band looks to have a rather odd profile.
Best regards Weasel.

I did think that, but they have machined the postions for the ballistic cap, penetrating cap and placed a copper alloy driving band on? I do agree that the rear bourrelet's diameter is rather wide though.

I also go for a replica (or what so ever). Also it seems that a larger caliber projectile was taken as a source for the dimenstions and scaled down to 37mm. Made by clueless people (or at worst by fakers).

I've emailed them.

PS I didn't even want the thing, just wondered what the hell the projectile was as I didn't recognise it.