What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 30mm

orcutteod

This 30mm projectile has absolutely no markings my best guess is that it's for our Air Forces A10 tank buster plane. Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3199.JPG
    IMG_3199.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 97
Hi it looks like a Gau 8 with the twin plastic bands but they did use Gau 8 projectiles in other 30 mm experiments - 30mm lockless for example.
Dave.

In my opnion indeed a PGU-15 projectile made by Aerojet for the GAU-8 fitted in the A-10.

Regards, Cornman

Hi,

Yes, the double nylon driving band is a thing typically seen on GAU-8 ammo. A further thing of interest to note is that the shape looks like the old style TP projectiles (as seen from the 1970s). The later ones (I think as of somewhere in the 1980s or thereabouts) have different projectiles, consisting of a body stub with a sharp pointed thin aluminum ballistic cap.

Cheers,
Olafo

I picked up an 30mm shell casing off gunbroker.com that mates perfectly with the projectile. I'm not sure if it's 100% correct. In closed is a picture of the match up.

This as a 30M/M TP PGU-15/5 alum. shell. stenciled on side as well as the following : 28113791-0001F also :HJA85B004-041 in 3 seperate lines. on the base of the shell is two lines as follows :28107310-Y , under that is the following :USE84K011-164, this shell is nice and clean no dents holes or corroded sections. the primer is clean with red sealer intact. look at the photos , it is what it is . The winning bidder will pay the total of the winning bid and the actual shipping with a U.S.Postal Money Order ...only... that about covers it thanks for looking and happy bidding

Attachments

• IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3221.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 27