What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 37mm projectile

Buster

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Can anyone provide any information on the 37mm projectile shown with the time and combustion fuze? There are no markings other than the time divisions on the fuze. I assume the milled section on the side of the projectile is to assist the setting of the fuze, can anyone confirm this?

37mmTimecombustion.jpg

Thanks

Buster

Hi Buster,
Now that's an odd looking round, it would appear to be a french body i think but the machined groove has been added much later by the look of it, maybe an experimental thing. As for the fuze i am sure i have seen another one but cant find it anywhere, look forward to finding out about this one.
Best regards Weasel.

Unknown 37mm projectile.

The projectile does indeed look French. I can tell you that the fuze is not the French time fuze used on their message shell and it is not the Russian time fuze used on their 37mm shell.It is not the Vickers fuze used on hte 2 pdr.So, I too, would like the answer. Highlandotter

There is another example of this;

How ever nothing is known about it either ~ It is clearly based on the time fuze from the message shell with an easy to grip timer ring which on other designs is for an automatic fuze setter accessory on the Automatic gun firing the munition. These are used for AA fire, the French did not generally use this kind of ammunition for those purposes like the Germans or British. It remains a mystery to the point of is it real or not ? I don't know and if any one does I hope they can comment.:tinysmile_cry_t2:

The other one is identicle - so they are real indeed ---- but nothing more is known ?

Last edited: