What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 40mm projectile.

super7

Got this from a friend many years ago. He mentioned at the time that it came from a US airforce training ground, so it might have been used
in some kind of aircraft weapon system. Any clues?

The diameter is 40mm and total length is 79 mm.

Attachments

• 40mm_unknown.jpg
    40mm_unknown.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 97
It is the high velocity 40mm grenade fired by the Mk-19 automatic grenade launcher. The gun is sometimes mounted on the chin turret of Cobra helicopters.

Is there any blue anodizing on the projectile?

Hazord . . . . No color of any kind visible. Could be that the previous owner had it polist at one time.

Cheers, Jan

I haven't seen an example of a three-piece one like this before. The two piece HE version have an aluminum ogive/fuze that screws into a steel body. There have been inert loaded versions of that design. U.S. HE grenades have a yellow Ogive/fuze and OD body.

Target practice projos are usually all blue in color. Yours appears to be a practice as it has aluminum on the base, but it does have the potential to be a dud HE.

Perhaps some of the other members are familiar with this particular three piece design.

Attachments

• 40mm M383.jpg
    40mm M383.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 34
I do not think it's a dud because the guy I got it from used to be a weapon
advisor for the Dutch Air Force, and the shell feel like one piece of solid aluminum.
I expect he got the shell before his retirement which dates it back to
at least 15 years or more. Hope this helps.