What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 47mm projectile....ID please

charley777

47mm  projectile ID1.jpg47mm  projectile ID2.jpg47mm  projectile ID3.jpgGreetings....Can anyone help with this one?
I got it from Japan a couple of years ago. I hope it is Japanese (of course!) but it could be Chinese, Russian, British or ??
Overall length.................176mm
Base to driving band.........c30mm
Width of driving band........c21mm
Depth of cavity............... c145mm
Diameter below d band......c46mm
Diameter above d band......c46.5mm
Diameter of fuze hole.........c16mm

Measurements approximate because of the heavy corrosion.
No visible markings.
OK.....over to you..............thanks very much

Hi Charley,

I've taken a look for you: the driving band looks EXACTLY like the one on my fired 47x131R British/Japanese projectile with Nordenfelt style driving band. The base to driving band height, and height of the driving band are also identical. However... the ones I have are all shorter, stockier, at some 135mm tall. It looks every bit like a tall version of the 47x131R APHE projos.
Now.. on my specimens one tends to find an anchor or an 'Asahi' Kanji on the driving band. You may want to check closely for markings on the driving band (on my fired specimen the anchor is still well visible, but YMMV). As for the Asahi Kanji, and overall ideas of what the driving bands look like, check my site: http://www.japaneseammunition.com -> Navy ammo -> 47x131R.
BTW: the fired specimen I now have (with base fuze!!!) is not yet listed there, but trust me, the DB looks every bit like your's!

Cheers,
Olafo

Hi Charley ,
Looks to me that a lot of material has come off this projectile and the DB seems too proud ,maybe it was larger than 47mm?
On my 3pr proj. the DB is only 48mm diameter.Could you measure the average diameter on yours?. C
ould it be / does anyone know about a 2"(50mm) Nordenfeldt, Royal Navy?

cheers
Bob

Bob,
You mention an interesting thing I had completely forgotten about! The 3Pr calibre was also used by Japan, manufactured by Britain!
If the DB style matches that, chances are good that was Charley has is actually a Japanese used 3Pr projectile.

Cheers,
Olafo

Rob....the DB does look large but i figured it might be exaggerated by the loss of projectile material to corrosion.
The diameter across the DB is 48.6 to 50.9mm. There is a 2inch Nordenfelt naval round on my lists......50.8x292R so perhaps a bit big for the DB?
Olafo...no discernable markings on the DB though one side is pretty flattened so there could have been...
When i get the measurements of Japanese 3Pr projectiles i'll have a better idea. It is certainly considerably longer than the standard British 3Pr projectiles i have.
Thanks guys...

Charley ,
Sounds like a 3pr.
How about a 47mm Vickers mk1/11 (1916) ,with the 411/414mm case? ,naval and possibly used by the Japs.
Don't know for sure but the crimping was in a different position(higher up) and being a more powerful round might have needed a longer projectile?
Unfortunately don't have any useful info on this round .

cheers
Bob

From memory the relevant manual states the 3pr and 3pr vickers used the same projectiles.