What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown 57 mm Recoiless

Fjordhouse

Ordnance approved
I found this 57 mm Recoiless complete round, its a hollow charge, no markings on the case, no markings on the fuze, i hope somebody can tell me who made this round, the projectile is made in 1952, i think that it is made in North Korea, but i am not sure

Attachments

• 57 mm.jpg
    57 mm.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 57 mm Chinees 007.jpg
    57 mm Chinees 007.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 57 mm-1.jpg
    57 mm-1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 71
57mm

Chinese 57-MM, high explosive antitank projectile. The projectile contains a shaped charge consisting of 159 grams (5.6 ounces) of either cast TNT or Pentolite 50/50, and solid and hollow Tetryl booster pellets weighing a total of 18 grams (0.6 ounces). The cartridge case contains a percussion primer weighing less than 1 gram (0.1 ounce) black powder primer charge, and a 500 gram (1.1 pound) double-base propellant charge.

The cartridge case is painted gray or olive drab and the projectile is painted black. It may contain the markings illustrated above or may be unmarked.

copy of US 57mm Recoilless HEAT

Attachments

• D5253P01.jpg
    D5253P01.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 41
Hello Ordman, many thanks, i am happy that it is Chinees, now i can put it in my collection, again many Thanks. Ben

Chinese 57-MM, high explosive antitank projectile. The projectile contains a shaped charge consisting of 159 grams (5.6 ounces) of either cast TNT or Pentolite 50/50, and solid and hollow Tetryl booster pellets weighing a total of 18 grams (0.6 ounces). The cartridge case contains a percussion primer weighing less than 1 gram (0.1 ounce) black powder primer charge, and a 500 gram (1.1 pound) double-base propellant charge.

The cartridge case is painted gray or olive drab and the projectile is painted black. It may contain the markings illustrated above or may be unmarked.

copy of US 57mm Recoilless HEAT

Indeed it is a copy of the U.S. 57mm recoilless rifle.

There are a few live examples of the U.S. guns which are still fired with solid projectiles (no explosive filler or fuse). The charge typically used is the 1 lb of propellant, although a surplus 50 BMG powder called IMR 5010 is substituted for whatever was used back in WWII. The round should have a perforated tube running down the center; this is refilled with black powder just as it was in WWII. The primer used privately today is a 50 BMG primer.

Besides the private owners still shooting these old war horses, there are a dwindling few state authorities who have been issued these guns by the military for use in avalanche control; in order to properly initiate an avalanche, I believe they may even have the original exploding projectiles!

Besides the private owners still shooting these old war horses, there are a dwindling few state authorities who have been issued these guns by the military for use in avalanche control; in order to properly initiate an avalanche, I believe they may even have the original exploding projectiles!

I recall seeing a photo of a 106mm recoilless gun being used in this way.

Remember being sesnt to Talo New MExico a couple times to dispose of the dud fired 105 (106) HEP rounds they used for snow control, plus the cast boosters they would drop from helicopters for the same purpose.

The resort would put us up in a nice condo. Climbing those hills to get to the dud rounds was a real chore. After a while of BIP'ing each round one at a time (altitude was getting to us and we were running short on C4, so I'd gather up 3 or 4 and shot them together,

Of all the incidents I was sentt on for these jobs I never say any round other then HEP

57mm.jpg57mm proj.jpg

Thought you might like to see what it looks like on the inside. External markings are the same. Most I have seen have been 1952 dated, must have been a good year! The end of the spit-back detonator tube has also been cutaway to show the small brass shaped-charge cone that travels down the hollow tube in the center of the main rounded copper cone to the main charge. I have never been able to determine the model (Type) number of the round. Anyone know what it is?

Bob

57mm US Chinese.jpg

Had a second thought and figured I would show the Chinese version compared with the US M307A1 HEAT on the top.
Bob

Bob,
can you show them side by side, projos only (full view, not cutaway). I've got one with funky paint and I'm trying to decide who made it. Thanks.

Three 57 mm.jpgThree 57 mm prjo.jpg

Bottom is the Chinese round. Middle is marked 57R, HEAT, SHELL M307A1. Top is marked 57R, TNT, SHELL MM306A1.

Bob