What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 75mm X 580mm Cartridge Case

M8owner

I have been offered this item for sale, but it has no markings. May I request our member's help in its identification. My guess is that it is French due to the press in style primer. Neck diameter is approx. 75-80mm. Height is 580mm. Thank you.

20160329_143553.jpg20160329_143617.jpg

Some of the first Skysweeper cases were M26 76mm cases necked down 1mm. The U.S. uses push in primers, but the case I'm showing has a screw in primer.

There is a photo here on BOCN of my brass Skysweeper case:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/41836-37-X-219SR-T68-Vigilante?highlight=skysweeper

I checked an M26 case, and it indeed does have a push in primer. It looks like you might have one of the very first cases they swaged, before they started to bore and thread them for a screw-in primer. That's why someone obliterated the markings that said 76mm, with a ball peen hammer.

Last edited: