What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown AP MINE

Panzerknacker

Identification needed on this Anti PERSONNEL mine ! it has a layer of shrapnel at the domed side that says A P 20 . The fuze well screws out, I have been told it has bracket mounts on the side and it is like a early claymore type of anti personal mine, set to a delay fuze, when troops entered it waited 5+ seconds to detonate hoping the room will have filled with a few troops by then ! and would have been placed to protect demolition charges from enermy troops ! AS Shown, can anyone identify it for me ? thanks P.N IMG_0116.jpgIMG_0111.jpgIMG_0112.jpgIMG_0113.jpgIMG_0114.jpgIMG_0115.jpg

Probably it's a french directional fragmentation mine of the fifties.
Do you know the dimensions, diameter and height ?

Regards
stecol

Its Diameter is 15" inch round, sidewall 60mm heigh sloping up to 110mm at the fuze pocket, the fuze pocket is 2" inch round and 70mm deep, the threaded bar sticks out 40mm each side, and the mount near the handle is 60mm wide, 40mm deep, with a 20mm slot @ 45degrees . It seems to be in German ww2 yellow ! or possibly a faded Russian green ? I have looked up afew Russian and French mines and have not seen it yet ! I was told its possibly German ww2 but i have never seen this in any manual !?

Seems like alot of explosive for just a anti-personel mine ! the shrapnel is in a domed compartment separate and there hex bar about 20mm chunks hundreds of them all sealed in, it already weighs about 10kg inert so it would have been a monster of a thing in its day !

Last edited:
I think thats the one spotter ! the drawings look like it on a bracket mount ! I guess i can help the guy on the site out ! weight f*cking heavy ! size F*ucking big and num ! = FRENCH LANDMINE, APERS, FRAG PLATE CHARGE, MODEL UNKNOWN
can anyone else confirm this ?

Maybe the model is as marked ! A P 20 ?

I`m guessing 1950`s/60`s ?.?

and why would it be in German ww2 yellow ?

Last edited:
Hahaha thats probably how they would describe it in the field..
Do you have the legs for it or are they something your going to engineer yourself,if so would you mind posting a picture of it set up..

I would like to have found the time to make the bracket for it and maybe be the only person with one mounted ! but I was hoping just to get some info on the mine and then see weather to keep it or not depending on country of origin and era used !

It's french, manufacture and font of markings say it, of course the four screw on front plate are post.
As correctly discovered by Spotter it's the landmine in the Ordata page, the unconfirmed name is "MI AP ED" (Mine Anti-Personel a Effet Dirig).

I asked Panzerknacker about dimensions because this ordnance is part of a family of 3 landmines, two of them are 380 mm (15") diameter, the AP & AV models and AT one is 280 mm (11").
All models function according to Misznay-Schardin principle and probably they are the most direct derivation of german studies made during WW2.

AP uses a fragmentation respectively formed by chopped metal bars behind a plane plate, while the AV model have a thick pre -fragmented front plate.
The third model, the AT mine, is configured as any modern stand-off Misznay-Schardin landmine, a single thick front plate over the HE shaped charge.

The MI AP ED weights about 20 kg, with a 9,3 charge of Melinite.
The mine is credited to saturate a target of 15x2 meters with 3 splinter for square meter to a 200 m range.

Regards
stecol

Quite a dangerous piece of kit for a range of 200 m. The Best source of info would be post war French TM manuals that would have the bracket sizes. I am sure some of our French members may have something in their archives on this.

It sure looks like a Chinese Directional Mine. They are big and heavy with the mount attached to the two opposite side all-thread bars. This gives it a directional capability. They were found nearly every country in SEA at the time. One was the cause of coming close to loosing an entire Recon Team when the team saw it and figured that the NVA would never mine in his own backyard. A slight pull on a couple of wires and the thing went off and killed some of the Yards and seriously injured the rest. This comes from Franklin Miller's book on the last chapter. This is also how he earned the MOH.

Quite a dangerous piece of kit for a range of 200 m. The Best source of info would be post war French TM manuals that would have the bracket sizes. I am sure some of our French members may have something in their archives on this.
You maybe didn`t hear about Soviet A/P mine MON-200 (MOH-200): mass - 25 kg, mass of explosive - 12 kg, range - 200 m. Very usefull for shoot down the helicopter in Vietnam :)

hi
it's a french ap / av mine for priod indochine war , 1100 models send in indochine,
3 models ( 2 circular and 1 square),

It sure looks like a Chinese Directional Mine. They are big and heavy with the mount attached to the two opposite side all-thread bars. This gives it a directional capability. They were found nearly every country in SEA at the time. One was the cause of coming close to loosing an entire Recon Team when the team saw it and figured that the NVA would never mine in his own backyard. A slight pull on a couple of wires and the thing went off and killed some of the Yards and seriously injured the rest. This comes from Franklin Miller's book on the last chapter. This is also how he earned the MOH.

Most probable captured French stock from the Indo-China war.

hi
it's a french ap / av mine for priod indochine war , 1100 models send in indochine,
3 models ( 2 circular and 1 square),

Do You have any further info about these landmines, please ?

Regards
stecol

I am looking at a ChiCom fixed directional anti-personal fragmentation mine called a DH-10. These mines were also mounted in trees and used to attack helicopters.

Thanks Stecol for that information. It was in fact in Laos where the Recon Team Yard pulled the wires or just one. Like I stated before, it was in this incident that Franklin Miller won his Medal of Honor. Here is a picture of his team: http://www.sfahq.com/miller/sog_team.htm

Sgt. Hein was killed in another seperate action. He was back in a FOB loading up on ordnance before a mission into Laos when a Yard dropped his M34 on the edge of a concrete step. Hein picked it up and began to feel it warming up. It was at this point, Hein new it could go off. Before he could get rid of it it blew up in his hand and he had white phosphures burning all over him. Witnesses say he was dancing around inside the w/p as it burned him. He was so badly burned that he was unrecongnizable to his best friends and team members. He died three days later on board a hospital ship.

It is for sale if anyone is interested ! I`m not sure posting is a great idea but can post at buyers expense ! or cash on collection ! decent offers welcome
can deliver to pickering war weekend,