What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Base Fuse

barob

Hi all,
I discovered this forum while trying to identify a base fuse that I found at a WWI artillery practice site in Georgia, USA. I was actually looking for American Civil War relics (which I also found there) when I came across the site, and later found that it was a 1917 practice range.

Most of the artillery relics that I've found are fragments of 3 inch shrapnel shells with the (apparently fairly common) 1907 Scovill nose fuses. A representative example is shown here:

IMG_2740-WWI-artillery-practice-examples.jpg

Note the subject base fuse in the lower middle of the above photo. A close-up angle of this fuse follows:

IMG_7146-fuse-rear-oblique.jpg

The next view shows the face of the fuse. The inside section has a Lot number and other undecipherable markings, while the outer rim is marked MOF (or E) _ _ E (or at least that's how I make it out). The diameter of the largest section (the base) of the fuse is 1.81 inches (46mm).

IMG_7142-fuse-face.jpg

Any help identifying this fuse would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bruce Roberts

Almost all the projectiles and base fragments that I found were solid based, indicating shrapnel projectiles. (the ground is full of lead balls!) I only found this one partial base fragment with a threaded fuse hole, which fits this fuse:

IMG_7149-Fuse_and_fragment-bottom.jpg

IMG_7150-Fuse_and_fragment-side.jpg

I did find that the 3 inch common shell (not shapnel) utilized a base fuse, so that is apparently what this fuse came from. The majority by far of projectiles fired here were shrapnel, rather than just explosive shells.

The only literature I have found on the 3 inch shrapnel and common shells just gives details of the projectiles themselves, not the fuses, so I'd still like to know something about the fuse...

Bruce

Thanks, Brian.
Still curious what the marking on the rim (manufacturer?) is.
I would think there must be a bunch of these out there, being from a common shell...