What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Bomb 500-LB

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Does anyone know anything about this practice bomb ... It was found in Michigan on the range. I have never seen it before and the markings are unknown to me. The EMPTY on the sides are raised letters.

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-SM1-3-1.jpg
    ICE-SM1-3-1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 69
  • ICE-SM1-3-2.jpg
    ICE-SM1-3-2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 68
  • ICE-SM1-3-4.jpg
    ICE-SM1-3-4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 75
  • ICE-SM1-3-5.jpg
    ICE-SM1-3-5.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 56
no question MK 82, orign is the question -I have never seen those marking before either. And on a range in MI?

Yes ... several found at the National Guard base. I have never seen the markings either, and I have not been able to find it within our database either.

Joe

Obviously nobody found stamped markings - hopefully someone checked? I know that on occasion over the years Grayling (the National Guard Camp) had drop shapes used on some of the ranges. This picture is not typical of most I've seen and is a bit small, but some types were pretty small at times, and your second photo has the look of a mock up of a triple switch. It seems like often the drop shapes are not covered well - or at all - in the pubs - have you considered the possibility?

I have never even heard of drop shapes ... was that to just test the aero-dynamics? They seem pretty new when we were out there. They had some rust on them, but not too bad. Different if nothing else. I thought maybe they were a foreign prac bomb, just didn't know which country. But that was just a guess.

Talked to an old AF loader, They are the same weight as a live MK82. They are cast versions with thicker skin that are cheaper to drop than a practice MK82 with internal plumbing.

No kidding ... we even have a pub on it. Guess one day I'll have to brush up on my bombs. Thanks ... at least everyone now knows if they find one someday.

Joe