What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown box, ammo or small arm ????

havoc

Well after the last stir with my fuze, which has been very interesting so far. I now have another little gem to test your knowledge.

Ok im not a complete idiot, Prob left my self well open to come back now lol.
This box i have found, Enfield pistol, but Ammo or Pistol itself????
Ive again had a look but have come up with fresh air so far. How old do we think it could be? Was the inner added later? as its a lot smaller inside than the outer dimensions, very strange. But then i know nothing at all about this kind of thing. I have removed the outer panel, and its all fitted in nicely inside. Why would it have been made this way? if at all. Surley you could have fitted more of whatever it contained if left out????

Well enjoy the pictures and will wait for the insults and bombardment.

Cheers all,

Clive.:tinysmile_classes_t

Attachments

• webbing 016.jpg
    webbing 016.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 41
  • webbing 017.jpg
    webbing 017.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 34
  • webbing 018.jpg
    webbing 018.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 42
  • webbing 019.jpg
    webbing 019.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 30
  • webbing 020.jpg
    webbing 020.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 25
  • webbing 021.jpg
    webbing 021.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 26
In that case..

I've just looked through all the pics for H code boxes on the site and I can't definately identify it but that centre sliding lid section is very similar to the H.1 mk I but the handle seems to be oriented incorrectly. I can't imagine a box top like that being used for weapons, so it looks like an ammo box but what kind remains a mystery.

What about the dimensions?

In that case..

I've just looked through all the pics for H code boxes on the site and I can't definately identify it but that centre sliding lid section is very similar to the H.1 mk I but the handle seems to be oriented incorrectly. I can't imagine a box top like that being used for weapons, so it looks like an ammo box but what kind remains a mystery.

What about the dimensions?

Here are the measurements:
Box measurements outside in cm : length 48.8cm width 18.7cm height 20.7cm. these measurements do not include the rope handle mounts on the ends.One handle has come undone.

Internal stowage is approx, as hard to access with a tapemeasure.
length 23.4cm width 14.8cm depth 15cm. I have no idea why this was made like this, as cuts down the internal area,may have been added later.

Cheers,

Clive.

I just had a look at the H box for the 303. I have a Martini one here as well. The lid differs from the one on the one i have pictured. This one is square,the one on the 303 and Martini is tapered.

Box

I am fairly confident that it is for pistols, not ammunition. Were it for ammunition it would say "xxx Cartridges S.A. .380 inch" or similar and would not mention Enfield as the ammo was also for Webley, Colt and Smith & Wesson pistols.

Also, the recognition diagram on the box would be a green elipse for .380 ball ammunition, not the black split circle. Unfortunately I do not have a list of the diagrams for weapons to hand so I cannot check for certain if that is the one for Enfield pistols.

Regards
TonyE

Could it be a film prop? It has the look of a late 1800's or early 1900's ammunition box, but is lacking small details like dove tail corners and recesses in the lid for label / handle. Just to add a little confusuion to the pot the split circle stencil looks like the mark for pistol ammunition!
Hangarman

Film prop

An interesting thought, but I do not think that is the case.

Also, the recognition diagram is not one I recognise. As I said in the previous post, it is not the one for .380 ammunition, nor is it the one for .455/.476 Enfield ammunition from the 1880s.

I suspect you are thinkling of the symbol for .455 pistol ammunition which is a circle with a cross piece (see picture)

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• .455 Packet small.jpg
    .455 Packet small.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 16
Cheers Tony, and Hangerman.
Completely out of my knowledge range this one. I googled pistol boxes to name etc, but drew blank. I havnt the books on this subject either.Only on German Fuzes, so this one threw me.
I know this may seem a little strange to some, but it has that smell about it. I really dont think a film prop would have it????? maybe im wrong???
Thanks again, this is getting more interesting,
Clive.