What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown British Experimental 1970 Nose Fuze

@Depotman

Trevor, I presume you mean 1960 not 1970?

VAC - Vickers Armstrong, Crayford.

It bears a strong resemblance to an L32 fuze (other than the nose profile which is more akin to a No. 700). The L32 was introduced for L13 gun of the 105mm Fd (SPG Abbott). Although the Abbott didn't enter service until 1965, design of the vehicle and armament had started in the late 50s. The vehicle was designed and manufactured by Vickers. Initially, the ammunition utilised US designed, UK manufactured fuzes. Which is hardly surprising as we were using the 105mm How. which was introduced in 1961 and this used US designed, UK manufactured fuzes. Later the 105mm Fd used UK designed and manufactured fuzes.

TimG

Last edited:
@Depotman

Trevor, I presume you mean 1960 not 1970?

VAC - Vickers Armstrong, Crayford.

It bears a strong resemblance to an L32 fuze (other than the nose profile which is more akin to a No. 700). The L32 was introduced for L13 gun of the 105mm Fd (SPG Abbott). Although the Abbott didn't enter service until 1965, design of the vehicle and armament had started in the late 50s. The vehicle was designed and manufactured by Vickers. Initially, the ammunition utilised US designed, UK manufactured fuzes. Which is hardly surprising as we were using the 105mm How. which was introduced in 1961 and this used US designed, UK manufactured fuzes. Later, UK designed and manufactured fuzes were utilised.

TimG
Many thanks Tim, whoops, yes 1960 (a senior moment).

There is certainly a huge amount unwritten on post-WW2 British fuze developments. When I did my survey, photographing and recording of fuzes at Woolwich Royal Artillery Museum (just before it closed), I was very surprised and disappointed at the number and range of development fuzes that were unidentified. Trevor