What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown case

seppe

Good evening ,
can some members help with the identification of this shell ?
Cal : 37 mm
Height : 199 mm
No markings at the bottom .unk 001.jpgunk 004.jpg

I also have an unmarked case that I picked up in Coventry, which I thought must have been used for testing the gun. The only mark on the base is from the ejector.
Cheers
Gary

Thanks for the reply !
Are you talking about the 190 mm case or the 199 mm I have ?
What is COW ? Is this a company that made an experimental gun that never entered service ?

COW stands for Coventry Ordnance Works. The gun was 11/2 pounder Mark III gun. The gun did enter service on larger aircraft in WW1 and was used in airfield defense in WW2. The French experimented with it at end ofWW1. There are at least, 5 different projectiles found in this case, possibly more. Still looking.

Without any headstamp and over length, could be a part finished case?.
Don't know about the French cases but all the British ones i've seen have been profusely marked.

I think kahu1 has the answer that it is an unfinished case. I have seen around 12 or so cases,all 190mm long and profusedly stamped with everyting except the stampers birthday.

You need to put it side by side with a marked COW case and see how it lines up. If the shoulder is higher then it is indeed something new.
If the only difference is the length of the neck, then it may just not be trimmed to length. But you will need to give some accurate measurements base to shoulder etc to get a better answer here. French cases are well marked.

good evening all ,
some more measurements of the case :
Cal : 37 mm
height : 199 mm
base : 45 mm
from base to shoulder : 175 mm
from top to shoulder :22 mm
thanks in advance !
Seppe .

IMG-20140812-01434.jpgIMG-20140812-01435.jpg

This is my unmarked , apart from the ejector ding, COW gun case. Bought in Coventry about 30 years ago!
Its 189mm long, 175mm to shoulder, 45mm rim.

Thanks for all your replys ,

my case has a "screw in " primer , which I don't think that's the case in hangarman's pic !

Seppe .