What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown device in a German torpedo

William49

Ordnance approved
I got these photos from a device that was placed in a German torpedo. The device has no connection to other parts in the torpedo. Could it be something for recording? The device has no connection to other torpedo parts. Any ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 54
I am not 100% sure but it could be this "TVA Registrierpistole". (TVA = Torpedo Versuchsanstalt). The picture explains what this device recorded.

Attachments

• TVA RegPist.jpg
    TVA RegPist.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 77
Not a book but a much "scientific style" archival file of Werner Osenberg about research to improve small details of torpedo internal parts and measuring devices. It's not related to ordnance thematic like torpedo fuzes etc.

Werner Osenberg was a key person which made the US „Operation Overcast“ possible because he handed over a list of 15000 German scientists to the USA. He seemed to be a very intelligent person but as a NSDAP and SS member he must have been also a 101% Nazi.

Some interesting info about him you'll find here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Osenberg

Last edited:
It's a standard recordingdevice for depth and roll. There were several models, and the one posted initially is not the same as the one in the merkblatt provided by Alpini (witch shows a model with an electrical controlled/timed recording needle).

I don't know specifics of the model with electric control, but these devices were pretty similar and normally driven by a mechanical spring acting upon the two heavy "flywheels" seen at the bottom, providing the power for the recoring device. The recordings were done by two mechanical needles "scratching" lines on special paper moving from one roll to another (a hydrostatic device controlled the depth-recording needle, and a pendlum controlled the roll-recoring needle).

The prepared recorder (ie equipped with a blank paper roll and a winded-up spring) were mounted in a dedicated pocket in the exersicehead. Depending on the model, it was activated/started by a flap being pushed back from the waterpressure, or a pendolum reacting on the kinetic energy from the launch of the torpedo (the model for which a merkblatt is provied is of the latter variant).

Most countries had such devices and they were very similar. For post-WWII usage on the ex-Kriegsmarine torpedoes in the Royal Norwegian Navy, we used mostly british models with an adapter to mount them in german exersiceheads. I have attached a drawing of the british model (model 1928 if I remember correctly), as well as a photo of the recorders we have in storage at Herdla.

indikator.jpg IMG_3230a.jpg

Last edited:
Hi gentlmen :
Source :Akon
Nice, do you have the complete roll and/or others from the T-178 publication? I assume they are not digitized and available for download from NARA...

I'd be very interested in obtaining copies of those, and happy to trade (for instance, I have about 3500 rolls from various publications in RG 242).

For the operation with the T-178 ,
I have no problem changing only the RG-242 is not quite my goal
Ok..? Record Group 242 is all the foreign seized material at NARA, ie German (the largest part), Italian etc records (including over 30000 microfilm rolls). Tons of documents on ammunition as well in there.

https://catalog.archives.gov/search?limit=100&recordGroupNumber=242

I am asking you for a contribution to 21cm ammunition from Norwegian sources...
.. do you have anything else (ammunition )
I have litterally a few million documents from various archives (including ca 3500 NARA microfilmrolls of german records). Problem is, I have no detailed inventory, so it's hard to find specific documents - especially outside my main area of focus (german coastal defence and underwater ordnance). I can certainly assemble a varity of for instance german munition-documents though (I found ca 800 documents on one harddrive right now).