What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown freebies

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello,
I got these the other day, the big one was saved from a scrappy for nothing and the small one was a freebie from a car booty! Not a bad day that!

Not my field though so I have no idea. The small one is dated 1916 but the base is very worn so I can't make out all the markings. I can read some - "Schneider?????" I am guessing German but it is very short. Has this been cut down or is it supposed to be this length?

The other is rather large and dated 1994. Would this have been a Naval round?

Attachments

• Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 148
Oh and by the way, the small one has at some point had a ring braised to it at some point on the primer. I assume that this may have been used as a weight on a clock. Would have been a nice looking clock I reckon

Good hunting

Thanks both for the quick response. I'll search through google now for a bit now I know what to look for.

By the "bit" you want I assume you mean the business end or projectile for the 4.5" ?
There are three main types that are commonly found and these are-
High Explosive
Parachute Illuminating
Practice
Do please note that all three may contain an explosive charge so it should be a necessity that you can inspect that the "shell" is in fact empty before purchase.
See attached pictures for HE and Practice (Mk1-this is not the correct proj for your case as you need to find the projo with the same crimping undercuts as the HE shell pictured)
You should fairly easily be able to purchase one of the mentioned items as they are often available, and of course good hunting !

Attachments

• 4_edited-1.jpg
    4_edited-1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 4_edited-2.jpg
    4_edited-2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 39
great finds pointblank that 4.5 is a great shell will look very nice when you find a projectile

regards lee

Thanks Lee and thanks for the pics Chris.

The neck of the case is a bit battered so I will need to devise a plan to bring it back to shape. Not bad for free though.

I think I will try and obtain a HE projectile as I assume the case was intended for one. (It says HE on the base)

Now you have mentioned it, I think I have seen these go quite often and for quite reasonable prices.

Thanks again, I will post pics again when complete.

Hi,
regarding the smaller case , without measures , it is a bit difficult but with the headstamp , I think I get it !!
37 mm Schneider-Canet artillery system made in France exactly by the Socit Franaise pour la fabrication des munitions d'artillerie at ISSY les Moulineaux ( nearby Paris). The case is for a 37 mm gun of 30 calibers Schneider . If the case is some 132 mm lenght it is it
This 37 mm gun made by the french Schneider factory was sold to the Ottoman government.
H.A.N.D.
phil

Hello Phil. I am at work at the moment so don't have it to hand. Great bit of info there. The case I would say is probably in keeping with the 132mm length, though it does seem a little bigger than a 37mm. I'll post the measurments when I can. What other calibres did they produce? Maybe a cut off?

Bonjour,
en ce qui concerne le plus petit boîtier, sans mesures, c'est un peu difficile mais avec le poinçon, je pense que j'ai compris !!
Système d'artillerie Schneider-Canet de 37 mm fabriqué en France exactement par la Société française pour la fabrication des munitions d'artillerie à ISSY les Moulineaux (près de Paris). L'étui est destiné à un canon de 37 mm de 30 calibres Schneider. Si l'étui fait environ 132 mm de long c'est bien celui-ci
Ce canon de 37 mm fabriqué par l'usine française Schneider a été vendu au gouvernement ottoman.
MAIN
phil

Bonjour 70 Schneider (70mm) rien a voir avec du 37mm.
Impossible , 70 Schneider (70mm) far away from 37mm