What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown French (?) Cartridge.

roadrunner404

DSC02880.jpgDSC02878.jpgHello All, this is my first attempt at putting a question on here; hope that someone can help me out with the identification of the following:

Possible French cartridge, has been cut down for as Trench Art so it's a gap filler for the moment. I think it's a First World War piece, base is rimmed with a diameter 54mm. The case is parallel for the 150mm length where it has been cut off. Headstamps are at 12 o'clock - 'CX L', 9 o'clock - 'M' & 6 o'clock - 'VN'. Percussion primer is 5.5mm diameter. Any help appreciated. Regards, Ian.

What is the rim diameter? Does not look French to me by the way. Maybe UK 6 pounder form WW1 tank?

Hi there Hoeksel, thank you for your reply. The rim diameter is 54mm which is smaller than the British 6 pdr you mentioned as I have one of those. The case does not carry the usual British headstamp markings such as Lot No, Gun used for, Date, Manufacturer, etc. however I realise that early British cases didn't have some of those details. It has been engraved with the word 'Cherbourg' above some decorative engravings which again, leads me to believe it is of French origin. Thanks again, regards, Ian.

In my lists I can find some cases with a 54mm rim and a length > 150mm, but they are incorrect (modern German experimental, US exerimental) or unknown....the unknown being a 50x184R54,5 mm case.

Ok, I'm not sure what you mean by incorrect? Is there any other reference to that cartridge you mentioned? Anyway, this seems to be a fairly old cartridge given the small percussion primer & style of letters punched into the base & it must have been in service at some stage given that it's been made into trench art. Have rechecked the rim dia & it is definately 54mm. Any further thoughts as to what it is, anybody? Regards, Ian.

With incorrect I mean your case does not match the 54 mm rim cases I know, since yours is definitely not WW2 German experimental or USA experimental......of the unknown case that could actually fit, I only know it exists but has not yet been identified to a weapon.

Let's take a look at the stamp. The only letter I would say is recognized is the "N" for probably Nordenfeldt (or maybe Navy). I go for Nordenfeldt. They are typically 47 - 57 mm zo lets see what we have:

47x195 1.85" UK light Nordenfeldt, rim diameter unknown.
47x292 1.85" UK heavy Nordenfeldt, rim diameter unknown.
50x292 2" UK Nordenfeldt, rim diameter unknown.
55.8x375 2.2" Nordenfeldt, rim diameter unknown.

So pick your choice....all UK naval Nordenfeldts with rim diameters unknown to me. As stated before, the headstamp does not look French but UK to me so I go for a rare and early Nordenfeldt case. Too bad it has been cut down!!!

If I had to guess it looks nordenfeldt to me but the stampming seems strange but as old as the case, however British letters are often slimmer fonts ie the lines are thinner but do have serifs, I think the style of letters point to the country of origin.

Just looked at Hoeksels reply in identification of 55x223 case and his Belgian case has fat letters!!! could this be a Belgian made case?

Hmm, do not think so if it is original headstamp. Belgiums typiccaly do not have such random stamp in my experience. But it could be if these case are used as balnks or saluting casings, I have seen weird Belgian stamps on those. But then I miss the indication for year of manufacture and the little holes indicating re-use. I still go for UK ;-)