What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown fuze item,please help!

AndyD

I picked this up from the Birmingham fair today.

Definately not a fuze,perhaps a training aid?

Made of solid bronze,marked GAUGE F.S.M. NI. MK.2.,also marked DATUM SAFE just before the 00 setting on the bottom part.

The central part has increments from 0 to 30.
The bottom part has increments from 00 to 21.

Cheers,
Andy

The central part turns,also there are lots of stampings on the base which I've tried to capture in the picture.

Attachments

• UNKNOWN 1.JPG
    UNKNOWN 1.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 67
  • UNKNOWN  2.jpg
    UNKNOWN 2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 73
  • UNKNOWN 3.jpg
    UNKNOWN 3.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 54
An educated guess - it is a guage for testing Fuze setter, mechanical.

On the bigger guns the time fuzes were set mechanically immediately before loading in an attempt to reduce the 'dead time' i.e. the time between the member of the gun crew physically setting the fuze and projectile/round being placed in the chamber. The mechanical fuze setters would need routine calibration checks and I think this is possible what was used.

Regards

TimG.

Thanks Tim.

I had thought F.S.M. stood for fuze setting machine,I never thought of fuze stter mechanical.

Also what's not shown in the pics is the large spring which sits at the bottom when the base is unscrewed if this helps more with an ID?

Cheers,
Andy

Test that fuze my man

Definately a fuze tester guage. I've only ever seen one other and it was marked as such. Nice find as i'd imagine they are not easy to come by...Dano