What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Fuze

EODGUY

Can anyone identify this fuze. Can't find it in any of my reference books. The top is stamped with what appears to be "OCP 18" On the side is F.B. in an oval. It was packed five to a tinned metal tube. No markings on the tube. I do not have specific dimensions, but it appears to be a fairly small fuze. Sorry but I have no other details on it.

BobUnk Fuze 2.jpgUnk Fuze.jpg

Bob, sorry, I'm getting ready for work and no time to look it up, but anytime you see knurling like that on a fuze, bet on Italian. I've got the same tin full of fuzes someplace, but don't recall the model off the top of my head.

Italian Fuze

EODGUY,

It is Italian fuze (Spoletta a percussione a b.a. Mod 910 per 102)

Regards,

Chris

Ps Had a nice day Jeff???

Hey Chris, good to see you still up and about! Any word on retirement yet? Give my best to all the guys, I miss my regular visits. When are you guys coming by for a visit?

In the meantime here is a picture of my tin of fuzes.

DSC_0020.jpg

Cool way of shipping them ... Bob could you give me the measurements on the fuze? I want to get a pub out on it. We don't have it in our database.

Joe

Joe, are you asking Bob, or me? I think Bob said that he doesn't have the dimensions. I'll check this weekend and see if I can find and measure them. If I forget, remind me.

Thanks for the ID. Joe, I do not have one of the fuzes and have no dimensional or any other data on it. Bob

Joe, measurements and hi-res photos sent to you via PM.

It's not a fuze, it's just a "detonator screw", in italian called "Innesco Mod.910 Alleggerito". It can be used with different fuzes (Spolette a percussione Mod. 910, Mod.911 and Mod.917). "OCP" is the factory "Officina Caricamento Proiettili in Piacenza"

Last edited:
It's not a fuze, it's just a "detonator screw", in italian called "Innesco Mod.910 Alleggerito". It can be used with different fuzes (Spolette a percussione Mod. 910, Mod.911 and Mod.917). "OCP" is the factory "Officina Caricamento Proiettili in Piacenza"

Hi, Alpini,
little question, do you known the signification of the marking FB in an oval ?

Yoda

I have always heard that these small oval stamps are inspectors marks (initials). They are common on most italian ammunition parts of 1st WW...

I don't think so because the Fratelli Borletti (Borletti Brothers) are well known italian industrialists which had a factory empire in italy. They are known to have produced handgrenades during WW1. But in the case of this detonator the manufacturer is clear. Most of the oval inspectors marks are unknown today, same exist on italian artillery case headstamps and projectile bodys for example. Also italian small arms headstamps have these marks, but without an oval around. In all that cases the factorys are clear, so the FB couldn't be a factory mark.

Italian Detonator Screw

Alpini,

I'm getting confused a bit hope you can help me out.

I think you are right about the item but on the photo attached is this then a fuze or a detonator screw?

Also drawings of some Italian Detonator screws.

Hope you can explain it to me Alpini. thank you in advange.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• Sopletta.jpg
    Sopletta.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Zundschraube.jpg
    Zundschraube.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 45
Alpini,

I just saw in the last sence, if I am right, that it must be a detonator screw.

your left picture shows a Mod. 910 fuze which was modified for 102 mm shells with a normal Inesco Mod. 910 alleggerito (lightened) screwed in.

The fuze itself contains only mechanical parts. On transport the fuzes were closed with a transport plug (tappo trasporto), I have one made of aluminium. This gave good transport security because these Innesci were screwed into the fuzes short before firing. Same system was used by many many countries in WW1 and earlier.

Last edited:
What are the hazardous contents of the Innesci?

just some miligrams of mercury fulminate, the image should answer further questions...

Spoletta a percusione Mod. 910-2.jpg