What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Grenade Type

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
I recently got this grenade body . It may be a Yugo M1935 as the fuze threads are left handed but why has it got wire wrapped around it ? Any thoughts would be appreciated !

mvc-807s.jpg

Hi Mike.
just found this pic in an old scrap book of grenade pics. the grenades are hanging on the soldiers belts so presumably they attached homemade wire loops to do the job. mabe this is the case with your one.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• yugoslavs with grenades.jpg
    yugoslavs with grenades.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 68
I was going to suggest the same idea, but thought I would leave it up to the experts!!
While on the subject, I have seen similar images in the past of partisans with Mills grenades hanging from belts in a similar manner, was wire used on Mills to suspend them?

regards Kev

Thanks guys . That sound very plausible . Just need a fuze for it now if anyone has a spare . I've never seen Mills suspended like that but who knows ?

Heres an Austrian 1ww grenade with a similar wire loop arangement.
Paul.

Attachments

• Page9AustrianFrag.jpg
    Page9AustrianFrag.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 31
hi,
it looks like a broken french grenade F1 but repaired with a wire to maintain 2 parts separated.
regards

Is it possible the grenade could have been equipped with a wire so as to be able to hang it on something, like a door handle maybe, in order to take out a door or the like, instead of just throwing it and hoping for the best?

Just a thought.

Dear friends,

in the Paul's picture the two soldiers are equipped with two M1935 grenades, but not with wire hook (as you can see from the right soldier,is too thick to be a wire) , but with a leather suspender. Two types of leather suspender are kown: a large one with a belt passage and another as a simple stripe with a ring for the grenade neck. The suspenders are normally used with M35 and F1-25 defensives grenades; the offensives grenades was normally carried in a pouch. Obviously, in the absence of suspenders, the easiest way to carry grenades had to hang at belt with wire!yugos-serbia leather suspender.jpg