What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown grenade

Freaky

Can anyone identifye this grenade for me pleace. I'm told it is an shock grenade but im not sure.

Attachments

• CIMG1898.jpg
    CIMG1898.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 48
  • CIMG1899.jpg
    CIMG1899.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 38
  • CIMG1900.jpg
    CIMG1900.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 39
  • CIMG1901.jpg
    CIMG1901.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi.
this is a charge for the Naval explosive (or acoustic) sweep Mk3, which was used for mine countermeasures. The inert version is an operational store. an unknown number of these grenades would be fired into the sea to give a particular acoustic signature. I presume this would help detect any mines in the area.
Cheers, Paul.

Paul is spot on with these. When used for thier original purpose, they were not fitted with a safety lever, as they were dispensed from a rack they were fitted in. Interestingly, they were also sold to the Belgians in the 1960's as offensive hand grenades with a Belgian fuse asembly, in the documents I have, they were listed as not be used in training, because of thier powrfull explosive content. Tony.

I found som pictures of one with a spon and a diferent fuse. i would gues this one is from Belgium then.
I have not seen this type of grenade befor, will that say those are rare?
What is teh contry of origin?
Does anyone got a cutout or a drawing of the internal parts?