What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Grenade

Depotman

Premium Member
Any ideas on this one? There are no markings apart from the pale green band (and yellow paint!). Trevor

Attachments

• DSCN3899.jpg
    DSCN3899.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN3901.jpg
    DSCN3901.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 58
Hmmm, the fuze is def Belgian but I have not seen the body before, is there a proper corresponding thread in the body ? Tony.

With it's rounded base and flat sides, it looks like it could be launched from something ?

Hmmm, the fuze is def Belgian but I have not seen the body before, is there a proper corresponding thread in the body ? Tony.

I have to agree that the fuse is guaranteed Belgian (M73 prac fuse) but the body i've never seen over here in Belgium.

First thing is this; Do you have any dimensions and weight of the device? with a Belgium fuse (?). The body appears to have been machined, via the concentric circles all around the bottom portion. It would also seem to be a "green" colored smoke grenade if there are any holes in the body plugged up or not. The other type of smoke grenades that appear identical to this one all have pull-friction ignition using the old German "Pull Friction" ignition. I am seeing all that have been showing are have a colored stripe running around the grenade at near middle. I have one in my books that has a brown body, red stripe around body at near middle, friction igniter with blue cap and appears to be slightly larger than the other one being shown which has a light brown colored body, with a white stripe around near middle, and has a German pull friction igniter with a yellow cap on it.

Secondly, is the inside "scored" inside at all? Or is it just a piece of Iron or steel?

Lastly, according to my books and my own personal investigation is telling me is that what you have is possibly a "smoke grenade, DA60, Czechoslovakian" For what it is worth.

V40

Last edited:
First thing is this; Do you have any dimensions and weight of the device? with a Belgium fuse (?). The body appears to have been machined, via the concentric circles all around the bottom portion. It would also seem to be a "green" colored smoke grenade if there are any holes in the body plugged up or not. The other type of smoke grenades that appear identical to this one all have pull-friction ignition using the old German "Pull Friction" ignition. I am seeing all that have been showing are have a colored stripe running around the grenade at near middle. I have one in my books that has a brown body, red stripe around body at near middle, friction igniter with blue cap and appears to be slightly larger than the other one being shown which has a light brown colored body, with a white stripe around near middle, and has a German pull friction igniter with a yellow cap on it.

Secondly, is the inside "scored" inside at all? Or is it just a piece of Iron or steel?

Lastly, according to my books and my own personal investigation is telling me is that what you have is possibly a "smoke grenade, DA60, Czechoslovakian" For what it is worth.

V40
The body dia is about 57mm and the weight, including the fuze is 568g. The only machining marks are those on the rounded base and the inside looks quite smooth with no machining marks. I've looke carefully and cannot see any 'plugged' holes.
Maybe the fuze isn't the original? I have no way of telling.
Trevor

Well, I still believe it to be a smoke signalling device from some sort of device, maybe even a fragmentation G/R.G. It may have been fitted to the top of a rifle grenade launcher for a smoke rifle grenade for all that I know about this device. The lack of any holes or any internal serroration still leads me back to a smoke emitting device. The fuze on it is probably not the original for this device, in which we are in agreement. The spoon is a little shorter than usual which means improvosisation to me. The fuze that is on there now is a "PRB-3 Timed Fuze".

So, by what we know at this time, about the device and i'ts exterior, I am going to still call it an: "Czech, Green Smoke Grenade/Rifle Grenade, DA60". I still believe there are some holes on the grenade, albeit probably welded closed then buffed out and painted. If possible could you unscrew out the fuze for this device so I can see the bottom of the fuze? Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this one.

Last edited:
Greetings all, while I don't know what the original item is, I do know its not a Czech DA60, see attached photo. I agree that the fuze is unlikely to be original to the body.

Attachments

• da60or.JPG
    da60or.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 15
sgtlynn,

How do you know that it is not? I was using that photo as the test bed. With only one shot to compare with I made my decision on that particular style and should have refferred to his device as part of a particular family of the DA60. Do you have a top and bottom view of that picture? Do you have that paricular device in your collection?

Last edited:
Hi

I got these photos of the DA60 from a Czech collector when I was writing my book on Warsaw Pact grenades. Looking at the unidentified grenade the shape of the body is not correct and if the body is in fact turned steel then the body construction is also not correct, the DA60 is simply made of sheet metal (as are most smoke grenades. I have attached a copy of an earlier version of the DA60 with a different igniter mech. Hope this answers your questions. Cheers Darryl

Attachments

• DA60 top.jpg
    DA60 top.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 14