What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown headstamp on 25 mm Bofors case

H

Hoeksel

Anybody can help me ID this headstamp on a 25 mm Bofors M38 shell case? I think it is Swedish.

Who is "NJ"?

Can anybody tell me what period it is made (WW2 or post-war)?

Edit: The shell case is 25x187R42.1 for the Swedish Bofors M38

Attachments

• Scan10-01-22 2028 25 mm M38.jpg
    Scan10-01-22 2028 25 mm M38.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Turns out the "J" is a re-stamp over the "N", so the stamp is "N 1" and "K 1" on the rim, with a re-stamp "J" that looks like a fish hook.

A collector was 99% sure the shell case is Swedish post-war.

The Bofors 25 mm M38 was a interwar gun that is not used much (website TonyW, article about Bofors automatic cannon)......why would there be a post-war manufacture of shell cases??

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shell case. I was not aware that there was a 25mm Bofors shell. Nicely marked headstamp..DANO

Last edited:
Oeps, sorry Tony!

You have no info on post-war use of these guns?

No, but it wouldn't surprise me if they kept the 25mm Bofors in use for some time after WW2. It seems to have been primarily a naval weapon (there was even a U-boat version) and those tend to stay fitted for as long as the ships are in service.

Bofors 25mm

The 25mm Bofors was in service on Swedish warships until around 1955-60 depending on: if the ship was scraped or modernised. used on all classes of swedish warships buildt before 1943. there was some production of ammo after the war, but as we wasent involved in the war manny cases were reloded several times. A special not: In several book about warships (in english) the swedish cruisers Tre Kronor and Gta Lejon is noted in the facts section to have carried 25mms insted of 20mms, the correct facts is nine 20mm M/40. I have the same stamp on some of my cases but i havent found anny info yet. If i shoud take an educated guess the stamp indicates the case manufacture plant.
cheers B (40mms)

I found another Swedish shell case with the same logo that also has dates 1942 and 1943 on it. It is a 40x311R Bofors case.

So now I have proof that the logo is used during WW2. In addition, post-war Swedish shell cases generally have several long numbers.

Attachments

• 4 cm Bofors Sweden.jpg
    4 cm Bofors Sweden.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 82
Update: Turns out the "J" is a re-stamp over the "N", so the stamp is "N 1" and "K 1" on the rim, with a re-stamp "J" that looks like a fish hook.
A collector was 99% sure the shell case is Swedish post-war.

I have a brass case of a swedish flare/signal cartridge with exact this NJ stamp. The case is from 1945.
Is NJ (JN) already resolved?

What do you guys think of this? Maybe the N is "Nobelkrut", who was affiliated with Bofors. Still no clue what the "J" is.

Attachments

• Nobelkrut.jpg
    Nobelkrut.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 24
Nobelkrut is gunpowder/explosives division of Bofors company.Nowdays company is known as Eurenco.

I know, but the "N" is even in detail exactly the same! I just do not get the "J". Where are the Swedish BOCN members?