What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Illumination Rocket ?

ron3350

I have no idea what this item is but need ID, country and correct ID. I have called it a rocket?
It is not marked and made of olive green and white plastic. 6 spring-loaded yellow tail fins. All joints are sealed with white sealant. 1 metal tail ring.
Inside the body is a parachute white plastic base, wire cable and cloth straps so definitely an Illumination projectile.

The fuze has 8 nose slots and is marked in black: DR 923- 31 -01 - 9624 ? but some letters are a bit unclear.
Body is 76.4mm diameter. Brown part is 232mm long. 400mm overall length. The tail has a hole so maybe something was attached .
All information is welcome . How was it launched? There is only 4 photos.
Fuze is 88.5mm long overall and 35.6mm diameter.

Illum a.jpgIllum c.jpgIllum d.jpgIllum e.jpeg

Going by the fuze designation, it is likely Chinese. As to what for/from, probably one of the Chinese Armbrust-like recoilless smoothbore disposable guns/launchers.

These guns/launchers use a countermass recoilless system like the Armbrust, i.e. the Davis gun principle. They fire nominally 80 mm calibre projectiles.

Some example images of the anti-structure DZJ08-80 (DZJ08E) model are below.

DZJ08 80 mm Anti-Structure Munition Launcher - 4.jpg
DZJ08 80 mm Anti-Structure Munition Launcher - 3.jpg
DZJ08 80 mm Anti-Structure Munition Launcher - 2.jpg