What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown inert 57 mm shell

Der_Feldgraue

Unknown inert 60 ? mm shell

Can someone tell me what kind of shell this is? By its appearance and thread for the fuze/adapter it looks french.

Diameter: 5,7 cm
Length: 23 cm
Bottom to driving band: 4,3 cm

Attachments

• 57 mm_Dscf0023.jpg
    57 mm_Dscf0023.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 57 mm_Dscf0024.jpg
    57 mm_Dscf0024.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Thanks! It looks like as it uses the french standart fuze 24-31 mod. 97. Even the small hole for the copper rod is present. Any other opinions about it?

Hello

Are you sure it is not a french 65 mm high explosive shell Mlle 1910 made of steel.

Cya

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 54
I thought the same first, but it is too small for the 65 mm mountain gun case I have and after measuring its diameter under the driving band the shell has got about 57 mm. But I will check the data from your image, if it matches my shell.

Ok, here are the details:

Lenght: 230 mm
Diameter (shell): 60 mm
Diameter (driving band): 63 mm
Distance from bottom to driving band: ca. 43 mm

unknown 57mm shell

Projectile diameter should be measured at the bourelet (machined shoulder) of the shell, not below the band. What is the measurement here?

It is really strange, that all dimensions match a french 65 mm mountain gun shell except the diameter.
Anyone else got an idea?

I just got the information, that it is an extremely rare 57 mm Nordenfeldt shell, model 1899, for french fortress gun turrets. Only four of these twin gun turrets existed and two were changed in 1905 for 75 mm guns, so a very small amount of these 57 mm shells were produced. Seems to be a very lucky find! :)

Just found out, that Fort de Manonviller had the last two 57 mm twin gun turrets and fired them in august 1914, as the germans attacked the Fort.