What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown mortar

Thats an german Bleihemd grenade !!(lead jacket grenade)

Hello

Thats a german Bleihemd grenade (lead jacket grenade ) it was for a front loader gun wit a powder bag and had no shell case !!
This lead jacket had the same function as the guide rings witch were made of brass later !!
The germans start to manufacturing this typ of in the 1880 in the begining time of the ww1 this typs are allready to old and getting only fired because of the huge quantity in the ammo depot !!

best regards David

BA- noting your location, it is also very similar to some of the US Civil War pieces, possibly a parrot. In your book set (do they still give you the book set?) you should have the two red covered books by Dickey and George - excellent books with great reference ID photos. If the item was found in the US I would start there before going to the overseas stuff - its much more likely.

Parrot shell

The fuze is dead on ringer to U.S. Civil War Parrot shell. I agree with USsubs that it's most probably a US Civil War period shell. Let us know what you find out...Dano

same pics came across my email yesterday afternoon. Here are some more pics of it.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I think David is correct in his identification of the shell, but the fuze is not the stanard type used in this model of shell. The '96' looks very Belgian - but not the crown - anyone any idea of its designation?

BD

I looked through my "Dickey and George" civil war book last night, and there isn't anything U.S. that looks close. I also believe it is of European origin.

The crown !!

i agree with burney davis this typ of fuze is not the standart one for this kind of shell and i only know the crown as symbol for german shells but it is an mystery for me too .
Why this fuze is fixed on this shell i am also not sure is it an fuze or only an closing plug for transport or shipping ???
Normaly an fuze should have any mechanism inside this looks more as an plug or anything that way !!
The stamping and marking looks for me sure frence !!
96 i gues stands for 1896 !!!
Maybe its an captured one because of the frence markings in the lead jacket !!

Best regards David

Prussian 6 Pdr

The shell is a prussian 6 pdr
Look on my pics of 5 aug 09. The fuze is abnormal for this projectile, or otherwise it's broken.
Wait, wait, I'm looking on documentation of the fuze

Prussian 6 pdr 1861

Here two doc of the prussian 6 pdr.
Sorry for the bad quality

Attachments

• 6 pdr-01.bmp
    55 KB · Views: 24
  • 6 pdr-02.bmp
    58.1 KB · Views: 14
Prussian 6 pdr 1861

Two possibilities for loading, HE or Schrappnel
The schrappnel model have a plug underside

Prussian 6 pdr 1861

For the 6 Pdr shell, the HE loading consist on 250 g of gun powder
For the 12 Pdr shell, 500 g and for the 24 Pdr shell, 920 g.

I think I have found a reference whose can help you :
US Army TM A-2-1-15

Look at confederate artillery, armstrong projectiles