What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown nade?

Freaky

Identification needed on this possible grenade.
I was told it was a French grenade but have not found any info about it.
Total height is ca 120 mm. Width is ca 50 mm.
Only text found on it is on the top where it is possible to turn the knob. Only text found is 37 and 1922.
Any info on this nade would be interesting.

Cheers
Freaky

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 71
I should be able to split it at the middle but it seems to be stuck. I dont have the tools her for loosen it so I have to wait to reunify my collection. Im eager to see if the fuze inside is complete. I can also unscrew the wing at the top of it. It is an ugly nade but I have never seen one for sale or in any collection before. If anyone has more information I would appreciate it!

Vz-21

Freaky,

Attached you will find some information about the Tjech hand grenade.
I.m soory it's in German.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• vz-21.jpg
    vz-21.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 67
Here is some information in English if that helps.

Rucni Granaty vz 21

The vz21 was in Czech service from about 1921 until adoption of the OUG vz 34 although manufacture ended in 1926. It was a dual-purpose grenade that could be used by hand or fired from a vz23 discharger cup as a rifle grenade.

The body is made of thin sheet steel in an elongated egg shape. The body is formed so that there is a central well running the length of the grenade from the top. The space between the outer walls of the body and the central well are filled with the main explosive filling. A detonator assembly consisting of a detonator and booster are fixed in position at the bottom of the central well. A primer assembly is located directly above the detonator assembly. The primer is fixed in the assembly in the centre. A weight with the striker mounted is located at the top of the well. A distance pin located in a small hole on top of the primer assembly prevents the weighted striker from coming into contact with the primer. A partially compressed spring presses down on the weight keeping the distance pin in position. A key fits in through the top of the grenade locking the pieces in position to ensure safety. The key has a small projection on one side that contacts notches in the top of the grenade ensuring that the key does turn accidentally. The key requires a turn of 360 degrees to remove.

There is a small lug formed near the bottom of the grenade, this is an indexing pin for use with the vz23 discharger cup. This ensures the grenade will rotate end over end after launching.

There are stamped markings on the top of the grenade giving the lot number, year of manufacture and a manufacturers mark.

When the key is removed, the parts are free to move, but are held in position by the partially compressed spring. Once removed, if necessary the key can be replaced to make the grenade safe. The grenade must be thrown so that it rotates end over end. When the grenade is thrown centrifugal forces cause the weight to move outwards further compressing the spring. When the weight moves out, the distance pin is free to fall out of position in effect arming the grenade. When the grenade impacts, the centrifugal forces stop allowing the spring to reassert itself and push the weight and striker toward the primer. The striker impacts the primer causing it to fire. The primer flashes into the detonator which explodes causing the booster to fire which in turn causes the main explosive filling to detonate.

If the grenade was not thrown with enough force, the spring would not compress enough to allow the distance pin to fall out.

TYPE- Offensive
WEIGHT- 450 gm
DIAMETER- 50 mm
LENGTH- 110 mm
FILLING- 125 gm
IGNITER- Impact

Thank you Chris and Sgtlynn. It was very informative. I havent found much information regarding this nade onto the internet some it was very helpful with the information you gays gave. Thanks again

Cheers

ok.

I can tell you aboht this one. You bought it from me some years ago i think. at least it`s been mine before:tinysmile_angry2_t:. This one had been found near a russian pow camp in the south of norway, along with french, norwegian, chezh and german gear. Kansje vi kan ta oss en tur en gang:tinysmile_twink_t: