What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown practice bomb

cornman

Hi, for a friend I need your help to identify a practice bomb. Ive never seen these before, but maybe some of you guys know this type. I have no dimensions or weight as it aint mine, but in the background you can see a 2.75 inch practice rocket head, so you have a little comparisation.
Dimensions come close to a British 28 pound practice bomb, but this one is a little larger.
Hope you can help me id!

Cheers Cornman

Attachments

• Oefenbom,_langwerpig.JPG
    Oefenbom,_langwerpig.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 310
No one so far?
Looking at the suspension lug, I guess it could be a US type. British practice bombs had/ have other type of suspension lugs.
Hope someone could help me with ID!

Cheers, Cornman

Hi Herbert,

Nice to see you here!
Have you tried asking our friend Harry? He may know off-hand....

Cheers!
Olafo

Possible 56lb American Practice Bomb

FREE FLIGHT TESTS OF TWENTY 56-LB. Mk 89 Mod 0 practice bombs with one lug were conducted during 1958. The bombs of these tests were released from a practice bomb rack adapter Aero X4A mounted on an FJ-4B aircraft performing level, dive, and loft maneuvers. The purpose of these tests is to determine whether the Aero X4A rack adversely affects the ballistic characteristics of the Mk 89 Mod 0 practice bomb.

Hi Jayteepee,
do you perhaps have pics of a mk-89 practice bomb?
Beside the article which you also posted in your reply, I can`t find anything regarding this bomb type.
But I think 56 Lb is too heavy for the shown bomb.

Cheers Cornman

Last edited:
picture of the mk89 prac

Attachments

• 1 mk89 prac bomb 56lb.jpg
    1 mk89 prac bomb 56lb.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 74
Thanks for the picture Spotter!
Unfortunately it also clearifies that this is not the bomb as in my picture, so I have to keep searching..

Regards, Cornman

Although this shows twin suspension, they did try single.

Attachments

• bomb.jpg
    bomb.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 34
I have some more info on the weight of the bomb; it weighs 10 kilograms, so that would be around 5 pounds.
Hope this helps a little bit.

Regards, Cornman

Practice Bomb

10 kg would be 22 lbs. Do you know how accurate this weight is?

Yes ofcourse, 5 pounds was as miscalculation from my side, sorry!
The bombs weighs exactly 10 kilograms.

Regards, Cornman

Apparently this is a hard one to identify!
Seems to be a very rare practice bomb! If someone do have a clue though, let me know.

Regards, Cornman

Mystery solved! This is a Danish practice bomb. I only don`t know the designation yet.
When I examined the bomb I noticed that the suspension lug and the striker assy were the same as those on the M72 Danish retarded practice bomb. Story was completed when I found some pictures on the web today, with F-100`s flying with these under the wings.
If someone might know the designation of this bomb, please let me know!

Regards, Cornman

Last edited: