What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown projectile

Anubis

Greetings!

Some time ago, I found at my wife's house an unknown projectile, which I unfortunatelly can't specify which exactly it is, and from which era it is.
I am from Slovenia, so it may have been used in the ww1, but I'm not certain about this.
3puja.jpg

CwAzP.jpg

4zhO9.jpg

hkEzf.jpg

By research so far, it looks similar to the british MKII VSM, although this is chromed.
Managed to open it today, the screw on the bottom is fuseless..

It does look very much like a British 1pr and they are often unmarked but you probably looked hard with thelight at various angles for markings. It might be Russian if brass banded, you could see if the bands are copper or brass. The chrome should be soft enough to rub down with fine silicon carbide paper to show what is underneath. Cant help thinking you might have been very lucky the screw was not a fuze as these shell were often gunpowder filled and dangerous however the fact it was chromed idicates it is likely to be empty.

The only mark on it, is a number 3.
Absolutely nothing else, checked and doublechecked.

The bands are copper.
As it goes for the screw. The projectile had a hole in the side, although it was clogged up with something, and the fact it was idd chromed, I believed it must be empty.
Fortunatelly it was, and in the hole on the side is screw that broke off...

It was likely used as a decoration then and was mounted on something, which woud account for the plating. It conforms to the British made 1 Pr with the thin upper band. The screw in slotted plug is very interesting, does it unscrew ? I have seen these unmarked before and used for souvenirs, perhaps factory rejects ?