What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown rocket/missile

It's neither rocket or missile. It's an ADSID, a seismic intrusion sensor dropped from aircraft along the Ho Chi Minh trail. Google "project Igloo White" for lots more info. I think there are a couple of threads somewhere here on BOCN that address it too.

It's an air dropped sensor. Not a missile. Somebody here will quickly produce the details.

Rick

UPDATE See, I told you they'd be quick.

What you have is actually part of an ADSID. This is the electronics package, minus the tail, antenna, and the electronics. The military dumped a lot of these to the open market as scrap sometime before 1997, they were bought up and later available at many of the gunshows for a long time, not so much anymore. The ADSIDS were part of an extended family of sensors which included individually aircraft dropped, individually hand dropped (air), dispenser released, artillery and mortar fired/dispensed and hand emplaced. They went by many names and were seismic, acoustic, magnetic, infrared etc. I've been working on digging out information for a long time, the variety is surprising and the information sparse and poorly detailed, with much of it still classified. I've attached a few shots of yours, plus a photo of some of my different models.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg