What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown rocket tube ?????

rnixartillery

Hello chaps !!

I am looking for some assistance identifying this piece,I picked it up the other day but don't quite know what it is,it is British and very well stencilled.
I think it is some type of rocket ,flare but would like someone to confirm.
The tin cap on the end of the tube is dated 1944 and I believe is apart of it.
Anyway here is some pics,can anyone confirm what it is ?????????????????

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Attachments

• DSCF3973.jpg
    DSCF3973.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF3974.jpg
    DSCF3974.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF3976.jpg
    DSCF3976.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF3972.jpg
    DSCF3972.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 73
I think the tin cap may be a red herring. The rocket is from the 1960's but the same diameter rocket was used during the 40's. Is there a 1/2 " diameter hole near the tin cap? This is to secure the fins onto the rocket using a rubber plug.
Cheers
Hangarman

Multiples of Motors

As the others have said it is indeed a 3" Rocket motor tube and one end will have a welded in Veturi and the strange looking clip on the other is where they are hung one on another under the wing with the spigot from one Rocket going into the hole on the next one thus allowing a series of Rockets to be suspended from a single point.
I think they were allowed a maximum of three Rockets per suspension fitting.

From you picture it would also appear that the suspension lug has been moved from its correct position as the series of radial holes would normally be occupied by a set of "studs" that are held in position with an internal sprung clip forcing them outwards to hold the tube securely to the mounting.

Last edited:
Unknown Rocket

Thanks chaps,I knew someone would be able to help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob.............................rnixartillery

The cap on the end is a moisture seal. Later marks used a neoprene rubber cap.

eodda