What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown round

highlandotter

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I cannot send images at this time, but hope description will ring a bell. The round was sold as Belgian, but I am not sure that is accurate. The size is 47x158R, it has a 38mm neck from shoulder to mouth of case.. Rim diameter is 64mm. Height of projectile, no fuze is 164mm. weight, empty. of projectile,1.345 kg. has characteristics of Nordenfelt-3 dot crimp, ring around primer, rotating band style.Would be grateful for any info. THAANKS TO ALL. The OTTER

47x158R, with a definite shoulder. case has slight taper-58mm at base to 57mm at beginning of shoulder to 48mm at mouth. could possibly be experimental round developed same time as the 47x280R?Looks like Belgium is the home town.

That is a 47 mm Fortress gun, indeed expected to be Belgium. Not much known about it, it is from the periode before 1900. I have had this case as full brass single case and as brass case from 2 parts (the bottom was a seperate part). I have also seen images of a German manufactured export case. These cases do pop up now and then but are hard to find.

Thanks very much. I bought this item because it looked like it was from before 1900 and has a pleasing profile. I have a Grusson 53mm round used in fortresses and now have a 47mm. I guess it will be quite a while for me to get the fuze but it has a nice brass storage plug. Thanks again for the good news, take care, Gerald, The Otter