What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown shell with mushroom looking fuse

al'saad

Ordnance approved
pls helm me with ID of this item, as I haven't find such a fuse anywhere i my books. thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 110
looks like part of the fuze has rotted away sead,,leaving just the more solid top piece

I've seen PTTF fuzes on WWI sharapnel rounds that lost the time rings after impact - they looked very similar as well.

I would agree that it it looks WW1 era and has lost its aluminium time rings. Possibly a German HZ05?
Richard

Do you have any better pictures without the shadow?

Does it/did it have a driving band?

Cheers

Pete

Hi Sead,

I'm not 100% sure but I think that you have a WW I German 10,5 cm shell with the rest of a Dopp Z S/43 fuze.

Should you can write the dimensions of the shell (with fuze and without fuze, diameter, distance between base and driving band, width of driving band) because so on pictureit,s difficult to read the correct measurement. They are so much different models of 10 cm shells ... !!!

Yoda

HiI
think it's a Granate-Srapnell M14 for austrian 10cm M14

the fuze is the ersatz production, brass-zamac 10cm M14 time and percussion fuze

best regards

Attachments

• GS 10cm14.jpg
    GS 10cm14.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 68
I will try to provide more detail measurements of this shell, i have also suspected on wwi era time fuse, but i wasn't 100% sure. thanks on help.

Fert is right, it is for sure a austro-hungarian "10 cm M.14 Granat-Schrapnell"

Fert/Alpini,

You guys know far more than I on the A/H shells, but I don't see a single driving band on the recovered shell matching the one in the picture. Am I mistaken in thinking there are two thin driving bands on the shell in question?

D

Sir,
The circular grooves near the base of the fuse makes it a powder train time fuse.
Sorry I don't kow the fuse nationality or number. PUCA!
Regards,
John

i have inspected shell in detail, and there is only one driving band groove on its body.