What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Swedish 105 mm case

H

Hoeksel

I have this 105x785R130 case, Swedish manufacture (Skultuna Bruk). It seems to be naval or coast defence artilley, considering the re-use marks on the case bottom. It has ink on the side, but it does not help me in identifying the case. Pictures are attached. Anybody knows for what gun this case is used?

Attachments

• 105 Swedish 1.jpg
    105 Swedish 1.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 75
  • 105 Swedish 2.jpg
    105 Swedish 2.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 75
Ink stencils are Finnish charge markings. Material code TMA 2325 is for Finnish navy, I can't find this case with proper material code from any of my manuals but but found the same case from coastal artillery ammo manual, with other code number though. It is for 105mm Obuhov - originally 102mm but converted to 105mm later on.

Last edited:
Further study to previoust message. I found information confirming that when 102mm Obuhovs were converted to 105mm after the war all ammunition was purchased from Sweden. In the early days Coastal artillery belonged to Navy and thus they had the same ordnance number codes. Later on they were separated and each have now their own codes. So, the confusing code must be from intermediate period.

Not necessarily but most likely. As far as I understood from literature available these modifications were mostly made post war. Does your case head show any markings to identify the year? Anyway the charge markings are post war.

Only marking on the head stamp is "SKULTUNA BRUK", no year ;-(.

Skultuna Bruk was founded in 1607. It became Sweden's largest brassworks. Since 1907 it was part of Svenska Metallverken AB.
I don't know when Skultuna started with brass ammo-cases. But what I know from the Swedish marking system is, they first used the stamp with full name and crown as shown on your case. From 1940 til ca. 1955 a 2-digit letter code with attached year and lot-no. was used and after 1955 it was a 3-digit numerical code.
Maybe that's a hint for dating the case.
But if they used their old style stamp for exports after 1940, this information is worthless.

I don't want to get in a contradiction with Tmine (my knowledge on Finnish big bores is less than zero) ... so just a question to Hoeksel: the case length is 785, not 765, right?

Last edited:
Actually Finnish ordnance manual gives for 105mm Obuhov case length of 788mm.

I should have expressed it clearer ...
No doubt on the manuals. But maybe the case length is a little shorter?
I'm thinking on 105 K/34 field gun, but probably I'm totally wrong.

Finland used also 105 K/34 in coastal artillery but that case is 764mm long according to the same manual. These are two different case types and different guns.

Obuhov 129,8mm and K/34 130,2mm, But case diameters in front of rim are 123,2mm for Obuhov and 116,0 for K/34.

I have a 10,5 cm K34 and it is a different case. The contact who got me the case also told me it was Obuhov modified but I could not find anything. Tmine35 found the information in manuals so that is now clear. My only thing I would like to know is the manufacture date. Personally, I know this kind of stamp only on cases < 1940 so I think it is before 1940.

My only source about this modification, book "Coastal Guns in Finland 1918-1998" says that first modifications of 102mm Obuhovs to 105mm were made in early 1944 and the last one in 1956. We had 2 different 102mm Ohuhovs; barrel lengths 58 and 60 calibers. However there are no details if they were modified the same way.