What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Swedish Mine

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Said to be a Type 13
Diameter: 311-MM
Height: 73-MM

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-369-1.JPG
    ICE-JV-369-1.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 19
  • ICE-JV-369-6.JPG
    ICE-JV-369-6.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 19
could be this one although no sizes given for this mine
the one in the photo has the bofors symbol on it

Attachments

• P1040958.JPG
    P1040958.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • P1040959.JPG
    P1040959.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 19
Said to be a Type 13

Joe
As 'sgdbdr' mentions, a Stridsvagnsmina 5 (English; Tank Mine 5), though a dummy or training version.

These are, as far as I can tell, respectively referred to as a 'Blind stridsvagnsmina 5' and a Övningsstridsvagnsmina 5.

As far as I can tell, and in a military/munitions context, Blind = Dummy and Övnings = Practice.

The same specimen is identified as Bofors Mi-101

Attachments

• MI-101.jpg
    MI-101.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 5
Said to be a Type 13

Joe
Does it just have just a central main upper fuze well, or does it have secondary (side and base) fuze wells?

The same specimen is identified as Bofors Mi-101
As far as I can tell, the code Mi 101 (Mi-101, etc.) is a Bofors (factory) designation, not the adopted Sweden military designation.

There were also the Mi-102 and Mi-103 mines, with the Mi-103 being adopted as the Stridsvagnsmina 5.

The Mi-101 and Mi-102 also had secondary fuze wells for booby-trapping. If the mine shown has secondary fuze wells it is not an Mi 103/Stridsvagnsmina 5.

I can have a look in the office on Wednesday to see if we have any official documentation, as all I've got at hand is for the Stridsvagnsmina 5 and other mines.

Examples of Mi102 and Mi103 here (4 pages) : http://smhs.com.dinstudio.se/gallery_170.html
The images are very useful, but the data is from a Swedish manual that I already have.

The first set of images seem to show an 'Mi102 C', which is presumably the Bofors code for the cut (sectioned) dummy version? These aren't of course the Mi 103, adopted as the Stridsvagnsmina 5, as only the Mi101 and Mi102 are supposed to have a base fuze well for an anti-lift device.

The later inert Mi 103 shown would be equivalent to the dummy (inert) 'Blind Stridsvagnsmina 5'.

This all leads back to my question to Joe (Vollenberg)...is the mine you have in your collection fitted with a base fuze well?