What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown/unmarked Fuze US Mk. III?

Brian Keith

This fuze may have been a factory demo or gift as it appears to have been nickel plated. It is similar to a US Mk. III, but has an interesting base nipple. It may not be a finished piece.
Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
BKW

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 37
interesting Piece. The grooves around the fuze body for a fuze protection cap and the fuze itself is looking exactly the same as the US-manufactured export fuzes for Russian 76,2 mm Shrapnells. Instead of these grooves the US 21 sec. 1907 M have the typical american half round shaped spaces for the fuze key. Just the adapter piece I don't know, it looks like for a larger calibre.

The M1907 and M1907M were all brass. This is identical to my Model 1917 P, which was a powder train time fuze with a 130 seconds maximum time. It is a Russian designed fuze. Mine is US manufacture, by E.A.C., and marked 1917 with a Cyrillic "P". It was made on a contract for Russia during the WWI timeframe. Mine has the time settings on the lower brass ring and the fuze nomenclature on the bottom of the fuze around the outer edge. Not sure why yours is not marked.

The M1907 and M1907M were all brass.

Bob, - as they say, there is an exception to every rule - found this Model 1907 out on the range at Ft. Sill about 1993 - saw thousands of 1907s out there in many variations, but this was one of only two that I saw which was part steel.

Attachments

• Scovill Model 1907 21 sec Variant  5.jpg
    Scovill Model 1907 21 sec Variant 5.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 15
Jeff,

Yep, never say never in this business. The 1917 P is aluminum and brass, not steel. Ok, after your posting though I wouldn't say there wasn't a steel one out there, maybe even bronze and pewter! Thanks for the photo. Never saw one before that wasn't all brass.

Bob

Thanks for all the info guys. For clarification, my shell is all brass (non-magnetic) it has been nickel plated. My assumption is that it is a presentation/souvenir piece from the factory.
EOD Guy, can you tell me who and where E.A.C. is/was?
Glad you found it of interest. I’m happy to be able to add interesting items to this forum.
BKW

I wish I could tell you the company EAC wtood for, but I have never found a reference to it. I was hoping that if I mentioned it on the thread that someone would jump up and tell us, but maybe no one else has figured it out either. Sorry! Bob