What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unloading Device

Bully1970

Was very unsure where to put this....

I was given this partly broken sign from a locally emplaced German WW2 Batterie, which was equipped with 3 x 21cm Morser 18 weapons. The sign states "Unloading device" and I am struggling to find out what the device actually was. A possibility was to remove a stuck or jammed shell from the barrel.

Unloading device.jpg

There is a actually a spelling mistake, but I'm sure of its provenance as the guy who gave it to me picked it up from from the batterie site in the 1960's himself and I am good friends with him.

I recently found out another exists and from a different local 21cm batterie, I visited the owner and we photographed them together, his also has the same spelling mistake so they must have been made by the same soldier!

2 unloading device.jpg

They both have similar designs and look like they would have been on a gallows bracket, I have studied photos of both batteries from the time and cannot see any signs but I dont have every angle unfortunately.

Any info on the above would be appreciated, thank you.

John