What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unmarked Steel Fuze

Brian Keith

Here is an unmarked artillery shell fuze Ive had a few years but have never foud out exactly what it is. The assembled overall length is 248mm, the second stage of the fuze (without the slotted tip) is 21mm high and 60mm wide. The third stage of the fuze is 70mm high and 60mm wide. The booster charge tube is 156mm in length and is 32mm wide. I see no markings. It is steel as it attracts a magnet. It apparently has been nickel plated. See photos for details.
Any information would be appreciated. Hope you enjoy seeing it.
Thanks in advance.
BKW
DSC_0003.JPGDSC_0002.JPGDSC_0001.JPG

have a look at this one (nice to see it in reality):

P.D. Mk.jpg

Anyone knows if it is a Russian or US construction as the Russians used fuzes with the same mechanics?

Thanks Alpini, That is it! It came from a collector's auction where I got an other US made, unmarked nickle plated Czarist Russian fuze, a Model 1917 P Time Fuze, that I posted here and was ID'd here. So from your comment, I understand that it was used by the US and also sold to Pre-Communist Russia, correct? Great Diagram, Thanks! I also see from the diagram, that it once had a lead and an abestos washer, thank goodness those dangerous materials have been removed from my inert fuze! That stuff is dangerous!
Thanks for the Info!
Glad you enjoyed seeeing it.
BKW

The U.S. produced huge numbers of projectiles during WWI for countries that would become our allies once we got into the war. There are a lot of Russian projos, and cases and some fuzes here in the states that never made it to Europe. Since the U.S. was severely lacking in Artillery projectile and fuze designs, they copied other countries. The drawing that was posted is of the U.S. design which was copied from the Russians. The U.S. also copied a number of French designs.

Hello BKW,

According to the U.S. Army HANDOOK OF ORDNANCE DATA, dated 1918, the point detonating fuze MK II was used with mobile and seacoast guns 8-inch and above. From your photographs, it appears to me that your beautiful fuze has simply been buffed and not nickel plated.

Best regards,

Randall

Thanks for your additional information and comments Shelldude, I'm pleased to be able to post something that forum members enjoy seeing. I'm curating a "trench art" exhibit to be opened next year at the Art Museum where I work. This forum has been very helpful in identifying many of the uncommon things I’ve come across.
Yours,
BKW

ICE-AB1-255-4.jpgHere is a cutaway from Aberdeen Ordnance Museum. Thought people would like to see it.