What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Untranslated Japanese Ceramic grenade reference

JCB99

I just recieved some untranslated information about Japanese Ceramic grenades. All the text is in Japanese. I do not know the books title and it is definitely post WWII reference. I am hoping somebody out there can help with some translation. I am very curious about these serrated ceramic grenades. I'll also post these pics on Gunboards, Japanese section.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

Attachments

• DSCF0519.jpg
    DSCF0519.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0504.jpg
    DSCF0504.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0505.jpg
    DSCF0505.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0506.jpg
    DSCF0506.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF0508.jpg
    DSCF0508.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 57
More info

This is reference on the round serrated type ceramic grenade. Very odd.

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF0510.jpg
    DSCF0510.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0509.jpg
    DSCF0509.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0511.jpg
    DSCF0511.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 39
Most of our guys are still out this week, if they are in next week I can show it to them.

looks like an instruction manual for the potter on how to make the grenades.
paul.

Yes it does, doesn't it. I have sent these pages to a friend to be translated. I think today I should have an accurate translation for these pages. It will be interesting to see what they say.

Regards, Steve
"Dr.Ruby"

great!

I have 15 pages of untranslated material from this book. I only posted the pages with diagrams. At some later time I hope to get all the pages posted and translated. It does seem to be a "How to" manual. I do see some dates on the pages, I see "1942" on the page opposite of the round serrated grenade diagram page. I am quite curious about these ceramic grenades. I have a feeling these were never mass produced like the round ball types. I appreciate everyones input on this subject matter. Thanks. Jim

I have 15 pages of untranslated material from this book. I only posted the pages with diagrams. At some later time I hope to get all the pages posted and translated. It does seem to be a "How to" manual. I do see some dates on the pages, I see "1942" on the page opposite of the round serrated grenade diagram page. I am quite curious about these ceramic grenades. I have a feeling these were never mass produced like the round ball types. I appreciate everyones input on this subject matter. Thanks. Jim

Hi Jim, here is what I could find out and have translated:

Hi Steve, Thanks for the note.
The text has just barely enough resolution to be legible with great difficulty and the captions to the diagrams for the most part lack sufficient resolution to be legible at all.
Here is what I can say quickly.
The abstract seems to be about the manufacturing process of pottery weapons. The bullet points and headings are:
Introduction
Method of manufacturing the bodies of pottery grenades
Terminology
Line drawings
Making practice pottery hand grenades
Hi Steve-
They look to be post-WWII due to several factors, including the fact they are written left to right, use a modern-looking font, and have a fair number of English loan words (like sketchi=sketch).
I'm less sure about the diagrams.

Sorry Jim, this is all I could get. She was very busy, and could not see it well. These type pottery grenades are interesting "enigma's"

I still think there must be some type of manual like TM-E-30-480 or another tech manual, or a bulletin that would describe the fuze system. Both types of your odd ceramics look to have much different sized openings at top for whatever fuze they used.

Maybe they were classified as a "improvised" grenade like in TM-E-30-480 says about coconut shell grenades and all the others they came up with. Maybe these ceramics just used a length of a "bickford" type burning fuze?? Similar to the brass shell casing improvised grenades.

Please keep us up to date on any new info you find out. I am very interested to know more also.

Regards, Steve
"Dr.Ruby"

Last edited: