What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual 155mm

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Found this 4.5-inch at a gunshow this weekend, a couple of good-old-boys had it up for sale, they thought it was a 155mm. Fairly well marked with a S.C.C. * 2.12.15 c 4-5 How R. V, it has a No. 100 IIB Fuze. My question is this, what are the peened markings on the body of the projo for? There are four dots on the base, just after the V (12 o'clock in the photo) and three high on the side just before the ogive. The fuze is stamped "reject", could this be a reject marking for the body, or just a weight zone?

Attachments

• DSCN1359.jpg
    DSCN1359.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN1361.jpg
    DSCN1361.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1362.jpg
    DSCN1362.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 71
I can't assist with the meaning of the dots at this moment. However, I suspect that the shell was made by "Steel Co. of Canada" I would be interested in any markings on the fuze.

Regards

TimG

Here is everything on the fuze.

Attachments

• DSC_4046.jpg
    DSC_4046.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_4045.jpg
    DSC_4045.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_4047.jpg
    DSC_4047.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 41
Thanks

RMC Co - I strongly suspect being "Russel Motor Car Co, Canada" Their monogram is actually listed as "R.M.Co. Ltd" but might be a typo. The significance of the "B" eludes me at this moment.

Regards

TimG.

Hi
The letter B seems to mean that the fuze is equipped with a delay positioned in the gaine N2 detonator
This shell is the 4.5 inch Mk V like stamping on the base

ref the dots from notes on the ammunition for qf 4.5in Howitzer 1917

Attachments

• 4.5inch dot markings.jpg
    4.5inch dot markings.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 42
So it is the weight zone, unrelated to the fuze marking of rejected - thanks!

A bit on the fuze.

No. 100 Fuze Introduced in 1915. Graze only fuze, having a cocked needle pellet released by set-forward of the graze pellet. Its wartime record was poor, mainly because of poor manufacturing by contractors. It is notable for having been designed, tried and approved in only ten days. 8 marks. Obsolete 1921

Which I think explains the Reject stamp.

The B is after the Mark, should signify that the fuze is fitted with a one piece striker instead of a striker with separate head.

Doctor,
In the case of the 101B (which was fitted Gaine No. 2 with delay). The B which follows the number signifies that the fuze is fitted with a weaker detent and shutter spring in place of the normal ones.

Regards

TimG

ref the dots from notes on the ammunition for qf 4.5in Howitzer 1917

Al,

The reference that you cite is for stencilled markings on the shoulder of the shell, not stampings in the shell and would have to be easily visible to the eye for grouping purposes. But I have no info on what the stamping of dots means.

BD

Indents !

Interesting thread this one, I used to own a 155 MM HE projectile that had the "indents" marked into the material under the marks denoting the extra weight, these can be clearly seen in the illustration.

The 155 MM SMK W/P projectile also had them but they are much fainter but again under the paint marks for the weight.

Pretty much the same idea carried through to the second world war.

Attachments

• 155 mm HE.jpg
    155 mm HE.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 155 mm HE indents.jpg
    155 mm HE indents.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 155 MM SMK WP.jpg
    155 MM SMK WP.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Having looked at a number of period British publications, I can only find one reference to weight indicators being stamped on the projectile; this being 'H' and 'L' (heavy and light) that was only used on certain ammunition. Plenty of references regarding stenciling of weight. However, as stated earlier, I believe this to be a Canadian shell and whilst one would think that they would have complied with the regulations set by the relevant British authority, I don't think that was always the case. So, these markings might be a Canadian idiosyncrasy. That said, the markings on the shoulder are rather strange in so much as they are not only haphazard, but enormous, I make them about .19” in diameter.

Anyway, the character opposite the big ‘S’ I think is a poorly struck ‘F’ , meaning that the shell is of forged steel construction.

Regards

TimG.

A bit on the fuze.

No. 100 Fuze –Introduced in 1915. Graze only fuze, having a ‘cocked’ needle pellet released by set-forward of the graze pellet. Its wartime record was poor, mainly because of poor manufacturing by contractors. It is notable for having been designed, tried and approved in only ten days. 8 marks. Obsolete 1921 –

Which I think explains the ‘Reject’ stamp.

The ‘B’ is after the Mark, should signify that the fuze is fitted with a one piece striker instead of a striker with separate head.

Doctor,
In the case of the 101B (which was fitted Gaine No. 2 with delay). The ‘B’ which follows the number signifies that the fuze is fitted with a weaker detent and shutter spring in place of the normal ones.

Regards

TimG

A few more snippits:

Fuze, Graze, No 100
Design RL 21070A. Graze percussion, using a cocked pellet mechanism. 'Designed, tried and approved in ten days' - OC Min 6478 of 2/8/1916. First trials fired 16/12/1914 by Coventry Ordnance Works. The wartime record of this fuze was poor, due to poor manufacture by contractors and the failure of the gaine attachment threads on setback. The cap is painted red where the gaine incorporates a delay. A Red patch on the body showed the location of the detonator. A Green tip indicated a tested needle.
Marks - Lists of Changes paragraphs:
1 17208 of 21/1/1915 Introduction, with Gaine No 1
1A 18279 of 28/7/1915 Shortened adapter, reinforced with a steel ring
IB 18279 of 28/7/1915 Strengthened short adapter; disc retaining detent plug omitted.
1AW 18279 of 28/7/1915 As 1A but without reinforcing ring.
2 18279 of 28/7/1915 As 1 but with graze pellet stalk parallel instead of tapered.
2A 18279 of 28/7/1915 As Mk 1A but with graze pellet as Mk 2
2B 18279 of 28/7/1915 As Mk 1B but with graze pellet as Mk 2
2AW 18279 of 28/7/1915 As Mk 1AW but with graze pellet as Mk 2
All marksObsolete: 24544 of 3/1/1921

[Ref: mainly work by Hogg]

Hi TimG
Thanks for having to rectify, I confused with fuze 101B, I was too fast to answer
Sorry

Norman,

Thanks for that. Having seen a diagram of the fuze, I was rather puzzled as to how you could make a single piece striker - the List of Changes explains all. It also reinforces the caveat in the list indentification letters about being a generalisation, as none of those in List of Changes corresponds with list and there is no mention of a 'W'.

Regards

Tim